Deeper scratch/rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deeper scratch/rust repair

Interestingly enough, a search in this forum didn't uncover a whole lot about rust repairs.

I have a 1993 XLT supercab with some light-to-moderate rust. Mostly around the rear wheelwells, but a little on the front as well. It hasn't rusted through, but the paint is "bubbling" in places, and in others the rust is actually visible.

How would I go about stopping the rusting, removing the rust, and then restoring the finish? The interior is in great shape and it runs like new(with over 125k on it) so I would really like to get it looking like new as well.

On another note, there is one fairly long, deep scratch on the hood. Deep enough where the scratch line is white and you can feel it with your finger, probably 18-20" long. Don't have a clue where it came from. What is a good scratch filler product for this?

And finally, how would I got about matching the color of the truck? According to the codes, the color is Strawberry Red. Could I go to a Ford dealer and have them order a vial or so of the color for touch-ups and the like?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be able to get the TU paint at the stealership but, short of that, I'm not sure what to tell you from a 'fillers' and rust removal standpoint....

We deal with more of a 'fine' scratch type in this forum typically...

Have you searched 'Other Body'?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you are dealing with surface rust, the rust is usually more significant than it appears- until you start digging. Sand or other media blasting is the best but you can also take a pick, or whatever, and dig it out. Once you have the rot dug out you can treat the surrounding metal with Rust Mort or a similar rust inhibitor. Then you would fill the hole with something i.e. fiberglass ec. and sand smooth and paint. This might be good for a few years.

For the paint you can take the Ford code for your truck and call around and find a paint supply shop that will mix it up and put it in a rattle can for you. Maybe for $15 a can.

That or eye-ball something close in the rattle can section at a parts store.

There is really not much for filling a deep scratch other than primer or bondo. If not too deep you could try a small paint brush with some paint and after it dries lightly wet sand with 2,000 grit and then polish but it won't be great.

Last edited by Dr. Franko; 05-04-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Deeper scratch/rust repair