Have I Taken it Too Far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have I Taken it Too Far?

As I was washing the truck today, I recalled something I read about cleaning the fenderwells. I've always been a fan of attention to detail like this, so I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it before. Once I was done cleaning the wheelwells, I decided to go into even more detail. I dropped the spare tire, cleaned underneath it, washed my exhaust pipes, rear differential, shocks, leaf springs, etc. I clened up pretty good under there. I then scrubbed the spare tire, and cleaned the wheel as well. It didn't occur to me until this how sick I really am. I proceeded to dry off the freshly cleaned spare, and put tire shine on it! I guess I have always known that I am a little bit **** about my stuff, but I think this is a new level. Geez, my friends have always made fun of me when I wax my doorjambs, wait till they hear about this.

I can't be alone. Is there anyone else out there that does things like this?

Old 02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Suspended
be careful with a pressure hose on the inside fender's, I have taken the paint off the inside fenders ( rear box ) on my 04 and under the front fender lips... I'm muddy all the time under thier..

Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
naaa u don't take it to far! well maybe for washing the rear diff I do that same thing you described pretty much and also waxed my door jams last week! I even waxed any paint I saw inside the engine bay. Although I would love to drop my spare and clean that but it's not worth it sine last time I dropped the spare, the aluminum wheels were all pitted and corroded which sucks, so I hope I don't have to use the spare tire anytime soon as it's an eye sore.

Next week, I wash and wax my drive shaft LOL j/k!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be sending your obcessive compulsive disorder club card in the mail... Welcome to the club!

RP

Old 02-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'll be sending your obcessive compulsive disorder club card in the mail... Welcome to the club!

RP
says the number one OCD member

Brian 5.4
did you take off the wheels and clean the insides and if you have a drop in bed liner you'll need to remove that also to clean and wax the bed.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude... you have no idea. LMAO...

I have detailed undercarriages before... okay... not many, just mine. LMAO!

About every third or fourth wash I'll climb under and polish my Magnaflow stainless muffler.... it's a disease.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, I just waxed and hand buff also the bottom side of the hood, interior side of the door panel, and the door jamb. But I'm to carefull to put was on the tags on those areas, I got an experience that those tags were faded (partly erased) on my other van. I do brush also the under the fender, chasis, front and rear suspension, back of front and rear bumper (with extra care due to my sensors on both front and rear. But you gave me an idea to clean the spare tire too. Besides I'm not using pressurized water just a normal preassure. Planning to steam clean the wheels, but no sufficient knowledge yet if there's some bad impact or if it will cause other problem especially on brake system and bearings.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got the addiction too. I would rather clean my truck and cars than to sit inside and watch tv. So Im always finding new things to detail.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ive shinned my spare before, just sprayed it, never really pulled it to scrub it.

I gotta show yall something tho. this was a tip off of this site and i tried it out.
Has to do with wax "overspray" or over application onto the plastic trim.

Pictures were taken within a minute of eachother
And the cleaning tip of the day is use a pencil eraser. Who would have thought?? Just lightly erase the over application away!
-Patrick

Old 02-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brian 5.4,

In answer to your question, no, you haven't gone to far. In fact, you've only just begun. For instance, I periodically wax my shocks. (They show don't they?) Some of us put tire dressing on the BACK sides of the tires too. (If you crash and the truck rolls over, what will somebody think?) Then of course there's 01 XLT Sport who polishes the INSIDE of his exhaust tips... (Don't even ask.) You'll just have to get used to folks making fun of you - right up until they ask you to detail their trucks. Welcome to the club!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Then of course there's 01 XLT Sport who polishes the INSIDE of his exhaust tips... :
yeah, but Burt uses the cats from his neighborhood to clean them with.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 AM
the Rubicon has red anodized front axle seals... they alway's get cleaned

also, the Steeda sway bars are alway's spotless on the truck for some reason...

Old 02-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Whenever I clean my truck I clean it. I mean straight go over everything. The only thing I regret doing is coating my dash in ArmorAll. All it does now is attract dust.

I do feel guilty taking off my tires, cleaning the backs of the rims and lug nuts.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 AM
I have been reading these over the last few days and the first thing that came to my mind was YOU NEED HELP!! Then I started thinking how it might not be a bad idea to do some of these things and make the truck look that much better. Then I thought you guys don't need help, the people that don't do this are the ones that need help! OCD is normal when it comes to truck cleanliness. I can't believe how I get the bug to clean more and more. Yikes!

Is there a support group meeting for this kind of stuff??? Who's in charge of the meeting, RockPick?

Kevin

Old 02-28-2006, 08:58 AM
WHen your wheel wells get really chitty, pull the tires off, clean them, then use some nice black plasti-coat for a new truck look! Just be sure to mask off everything else!