wash mitt can i wash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wash mitt can i wash?

I bought a wash mit today from pep boys. Not sheepskin, almost most like one but little softer. Didnt have the material written so i dunno. anyway i wash the truck and it feels very smooth and holds water well. My big question is can i wash this in the washing machine or do i just rinse it? Other question is what is this material? It's the same color as sheepskin but softer? It's also turtle wax brand. Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a synthetic material... probably polyester. Polyester is, generally, not thought to be a good washing material due to scratching potential.

Not sure on washing them in the washer... probably not. I think it'd destroy it.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the synthetic turtle wax wash mit and it seems ok when using the Gold Glass car soap but I am looking to get a better one. I just wash it in with my car wash stuff (microfiber rags etc.) After a summer of being used almost every weekend, it is starting to get a little ratty looking. What's a good mit to minimize the chances of introducing swirls that can be found easily (walmart, target, etc)? Rule of thumb = 100% cotton?

Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by emig5m
What's a good mit to minimize the chances of introducing swirls that can be found easily (walmart, target, etc)? Rule of thumb = 100% cotton?
Yes and no on the 100% cotton thing. There's varying levels of quality on nearly everything in the detailing world... my advice is to not skimp on anything that is going to touch your paint.

But, more so than products, technique is critical. A lot of people, using good technique and procedures, could wash a car with a brillo pad on only cause nominal damage... okay, that's a bit far fetched but, the concept is the same. While I don't recommend using a brillo (or similar) to wash anything that sits in your garage overnight (with the exception of a grill maybe), I do HIGHLY recommend using good technique. Research a little here on our boards, at autopia, detailcity, and meguiarsonline to learn a little about the two-bucket system, types of mitts, and other tips/tricks to minimize swirl introduction.

From a standpoint of a pretty good, readily available mitt... you might check out the EUROW mitt at Wal-Mart. This is a 100% sheepskin mitt and is thought of within the detailing community as a pretty good one. I've tried it out and think it's okay; I still have other favorites though.

My personal favorite (and I need to pick up another half-dozen) is the SW Arnold 100% sheepskin mitt. I've used cotton mitts and there are a few good ones out there, but, I've always come back to sheepskin for it's ability to hold copius amounts of water/wash solution, the ability to clean without massive amounts of abrasion, and because I've always achieved good results with them.

Remember, technique is, at least, 75% of the battle...

RP

Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 PM
RP,

What store do you get the mitt at?? Looking for something new to use.

Thanks, Kevin

Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Old 11-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Yes and no on the 100% cotton thing. There's varying levels of quality on nearly everything in the detailing world... my advice is to not skimp on anything that is going to touch your paint.
Exactly!

Just to clarify the above, and RP's point on the Eurow mitts found at Wal-Mart, check out this link...

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=30057

If you scroll down, you will notice 4 levels of sheepskin wash mitts (Eurow). They range in plushness from less than 3 ounces up to 8 ounces. The ones you find at Wally World are probably going to be on the lower end of the scale.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Almost forgot to say "Thank you!"

Kevin

Old 11-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by khindal
Almost forgot to say "Thank you!"

Kevin