Towels and Apllicators?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towels and Apllicators?

Ok this may sound stupid but I am going to ask anyway!
I have read on here that you want to wash your towels and applictors after first buying due to dirt and such other people might have left on them. Also read that when you accidentally drop a towel you never use it again until washed. So my question is how do you store your stuff in between washing/waxing? What do you do with it to keep clean and from dust and dirt or do you wash everything in the washing machine right before you use it? Just kinda curious about everyone's procedures, even the simple unasked ones!

Mark

Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
With my terry cloth drying towels, I actually wash and dry them (3) times before I use them. It takes at least that much washing and drying to get them to the point where they don't leave little specks of lint all over the surface of my vehicle!

As far as storage goes, I have two large plastic storage boxes with snap-on lids (I got mine at The Container Store, but you can find them almost anywhere) out in my garage where I store my detailing towels -- drying towels, waxing towels, QD-ing towels, general cleaning and drying towels, etc.)

Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a couple of those plastic drawer systems in my garage where I keep all of my towels, bonnets, and the majority of my pads (pads are also kept and stored in ziploc bags).

As for a towel that I drop on the ground, it's immediately placed into my 'dirty bin'. Further, I segregate towels based on terry, microfiber, and good/average microfiber.

All of my DF Towels get washed separately and air dried. Like ddellwo, I'll wash mine a couple of times before they get to touch paint.

You know what they say... an ounce of prevention...

RP

Old 06-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of applicators. I don't have a PC yet so everything I do is done by hand. When applying a polish/swirl remover which applicator is best to use, not to introduce new swirls? Terry cloth or sponge? Next question, when time apply the wax or sealant, which to use? Terry cloth or sponge. I have use both and had success, but my new truck is black and I'm trying to be very careful. I going to put a coat of #9, then follow up with NXT, then put a top coat of Carnauba. Suggestions

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Crew
Speaking of applicators. I don't have a PC yet so everything I do is done by hand. When applying a polish/swirl remover which applicator is best to use, not to introduce new swirls? Terry cloth or sponge? Next question, when time apply the wax or sealant, which to use? Terry cloth or sponge. I have use both and had success, but my new truck is black and I'm trying to be very careful. I going to put a coat of #9, then follow up with NXT, then put a top coat of Carnauba. Suggestions

Thanks!
Polish/Swirl Remover, I'd go with terry. The reason is that it has a little more cutting action than a sponge/foam applicator. Just a personal preference here... just the opposite with a sealant or wax as I like foam as it has less cut in my opinion.

I'd recommend a couple coats of NXT (several hours apart) with one coat of carnauba.

RP

Quick Reply: Towels and Apllicators?