Help the overwhelmed, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help the overwhelmed, please!

I got my new-to-me '98 F150 Lariat last week, and plan to do a cleanup job this weekend since it's already dirty. Yes, it's black. Anyway, the autoplace did a fairly decent job cleaning it up. It was freshly washed when I picked it up, and it had been waxed recently (still a bit of unbuffed wax near the trim pieces in some places).

Along with cleaning my truck, I also get the pleasure of cleaning up my wife's car ('97 Taurus, white). We just made a swing by AutoZone this evening and picked up some products I may be ashamed to admit after scouring the six pages of this detailers forum.

1. Armor All Original (for tires and plastic trim)
2. Armor All Gels System wash & wax-as-you-dry
3. Armor All Cleaning Wipes for interior cleaning
4. microfiber towels (can't remember brand name - starts with a Z)

It wasn't until I visited here this evening that I realized I might be able to take much better care of my vehicles with the proper products and a little more effort. So.. what to keep and what to take back and exchange?

Thanks for the advice -

edit: Remember, these vehicles are 7 and 8 years old respectively. They have a ding or two. I'm not looking for showroom quality and effort, I'm looking for a good wash/wax that will make 'em shine and only take up a few hours of an afternoon (with spousal help). From what I've read this evening about clay bars, I'm willing to try that too.

Last edited by Ayres; 05-06-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, I went and talked to some of the AutoZone workers and ended up getting the Meguires Deep Crystal wash, a Clay Magic clay bar system, and Meguires Step #3 wax. I kept the Armor All for trim and wheels, as well as the Armor All cleaning wipes for interior cleanup. Everything worked out great.

I only got to clay bar and wax my wife's car, but it turned out wonderful. All paint/plastic transfer from car-door-dings, an errant ice scraper, and specks of tar came out of the paint with some work.

One thing that hasn't come out (and is pissing me off) is some "window chalk" paint that is used to decorate cars. We were married last summer and the wedding party did a good job on the car. The kicker was using the leftover yellow window chalk on the tires. That crap won't come off the rubber and it's stuck in the tiny crevices of the lettering on the tire. Any idea for a product to get that stuff cleaned off?

Last edited by Ayres; 05-09-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I had a bit of that stuff on the tires of one of my cars, and I was able to use the Castrol cleaner spritzed on it, then brushed it off with a stiff plastic brush. I then treated it with a tire dressing, Red oval thing with built on sponge, and the tires came out fine. Good luck with it.

On the Clay Magic clay kit, I don't know why it's only 9.99 at Autozone, rather than the 15.00 for the Mothers kit next to it, but I like it. I have clayed three vehicles so far, and the Clay Magic is a great bargain.

Chris

Old 05-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Ayres,

Sorry we missed your other post. However, it sounds like you did good on your own. The clay bar and Deep Crystal system you choose are good ones.

For the chalk on the tires, pick up a brass tire brush (used for RWL) at you auto store. Then, get a good APC and try using it with the brass tire brush.

HTH

Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I know RWL is Raised White Letters, but I have no clue what APC or HTH mean.

I agree with the brass brush for the tires. Use an all-purpose cleaner like Simple Green or similar.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm assuming that APC means "all-purpose cleaner."

Thanks for the tips, I'll try that out this week.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
OK, I know RWL is Raised White Letters, but I have no clue what APC or HTH mean.

I agree with the brass brush for the tires. Use an all-purpose cleaner like Simple Green or similar.
We do have too many acronyms in this internet message board world!

APC -- Asked and answered in your post. All-purpose cleaner.

HTH -- Happy to help.

---------

Sorry we missed your post Ayres but, like Boss mentioned, it looks like you hit the nail on the head. Please let us know if we can help out!!

RP

Old 05-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
HTH -- Happy to help.
Can also be used for hope this helps.

SL

Quick Reply: Help the overwhelmed, please!