NXT is so much better...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NXT is so much better...

So I had been using an Armor All car wash concentrate, and after reading the posts on here, I decided to switch to Meg's NXT. So I went out using the NXT car wash, and the two bucket technique, and right away I could feel the difference. It's just thicker, and smoother, and well... just better.

Anyway, I got a great wash, used a high quality microfiber cloth to dry it off, and it is the cleanest it has ever been after just a wash.

Needless to say I will be sticking with the NXT series stuff for quite a while!

Old 04-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, I would certainly have to agree... the NXT products are certainly a step up from the Armor All products. At least in my opinion!

Old 04-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that the products are a step up but, more importantly, it sounds like you 'stepped up' your technique on washing.

I think most folks who are serious detailing types will agree that there are thousands upon thousands of quality detailing products out there on the market. When you utilize a good product with proper technique, your outcome will, almost always, be better.

The two bucket method, that you mentioned, is just a tiny step in making sure that your technique continues to benefit you as a detailer on your vehicles.

Preparation and technique are EVERYTHING.

RP

Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: NXT is so much better...

Originally posted by bryanfeelsgood
So I had been using an Armor All car wash concentrate, and after reading the posts on here, I decided to switch to Meg's NXT.
Interesting...

I have also always used the Armor All Car Wash Concentrate -- mainly out of habit since that is what I started using back in the late-80's after I got my first new car. But lately I have been telling myself that I need to try one of the other washes, just to see what they're like!

The only thing that has held me back is the fact that the Mequiar's wash down at my local AutoZone is running around $8.00 a bottle, while the same sized Armor All at Wal-Mart is only $3.50. How much difference can there really be in a car wash soap?

Guess I'll have to break down and try it to find out! If I like the spendy stuff better, maybe I'll just be selective on which vehicles I use it, and keep the cheap old Armor All around for doing my obligatory washes on the old daily driver!

Any comments out there from you other guys on what would be a good product to try as a "step-up" from the Armor All car wash product?

Old 04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Re: Re: NXT is so much better...

Originally posted by ddellwo

The only thing that has held me back is the fact that the Mequiar's wash down at my local AutoZone is running around $8.00 a bottle, while the same sized Armor All at Wal-Mart is only $3.50. How much difference can there really be in a car wash soap?

Any comments out there from you other guys on what would be a good product to try as a "step-up" from the Armor All car wash product?
I have found Gold Class car wash at Target and Costco for around $10 a gallon. It'a a very good car wash that is available locally. To be honest, the Armor All may be fine... I haven't tried it.

Anyhow, a good car wash should exhibit as many of the following as possible:

Great lubrication - the first thing I look for.
Clean well, but gently - gets the dirt off but doesn't strip wax.
Contain "stuff" (not sure what the "stuff is ) that reduces water spotting.
Rinses easily - shouldn't leave a soap residue behind.
Enhance gloss.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Re: Re: Re: NXT is so much better...

Originally posted by Boss_429
Anyhow, a good car wash should exhibit as many of the following as possible:

Great lubrication - the first thing I look for.
Clean well, but gently - gets the dirt off but doesn't strip wax.
Contain "stuff" (not sure what the "stuff is ) that reduces water spotting.
Rinses easily - shouldn't leave a soap residue behind.
Enhance gloss.
On my errands today I am going to go ahead and pop for some Mequiar's or other "higher-end" brand, and then use it on the wife's Escape this evening. Then I'll post my thoughts between whatever I get and the Armor All I have always used.

Just from experience, I know the Armor All is pretty good as far as being gentle on the waxed finish, and seems to do an excellent job in the "spotting" and "rinsing" departments. My guess is that if I notice a difference anywhere, it will be in the "lubrication" area -- I'm anxious to see if whatever I purchase feels dramatically "slippery-er" than the Armor All product!

Stay tuned.....

Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 AM
The Verdict Is In....

Well -- I went out and purchased a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash to try out in place of my usual Armor All Car Wash Concentrate. The cost of the Meguair's product was $7.99 for 64 ounces -- more than double the $3.47 an identical amount of Armor All costs at Wal-Mart.

Here is a comparison of the two products in the categories mentioned by Boss_429:

* As far as minimizing the amount of wax protection removed from the surface of the paint goes, I would have to give the nod to the Gold Class. The vehicle I washed just received (2) coats of #26 last weekend, and I would have to say that less of that "just waxed feeling" was lost using the Gold Class compared to what I would generally expect to experience with the Armor All product.

* In the "rinsability" department, I would have to say the two products are about even. The Gold Class product seemed to rinse away no better or no worse than the Armor All product.

* It's difficult for me to determine anything about the two products as far as "spotting" goes, since I hand dry all of my washed vehicles. As such, I will refrain from guessing about any differences between the two products in this category.

* Finally, in the "lubrication" department, the hand's down winner was the Gold Class. The Meguiar's product was significantly more slippery when running my wet chenille mitt across the surface of the paint. I definitely believe the use of Gold Class over an extended period of time would probably result in fewer swirl marks in the surface of my paint!

So all in all, I would have to say that the Meguiar's Gold Class is probably an overall superior product. While it DOES cost significantly more than the Armor All, the extra cost is worth it for me when it comes to washing my "babies".

My guess is that I will continue to purchase the Gold Class for use on my "good" vehicles, and will continue to purchase the Armor All product as an economical alternative for use on my daily drivers!

Last edited by ddellwo; 04-25-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 AM
ddellwo,

Good review!

I would say the GC is worth it for the added lubrication. Do EVERYTHING you can to minimze spider-web/swirls during the washing/drying process. You'll spend a lot less time and money continuously "removing" swirls with abrasive polishes. Then, you'll be able to spend more time applying a great LSP's and standing back with a beer admiring your work!

Again, if you every go by a Target or Costco, check for the GC shampoo in the gallon sizes for $10.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I purchased the $10 GC at Target, and still am not even halfway done! (but then it all depends on how often I've used it, etc...)

I can't do much comparing because I kinda started out with Meg's products... I used my Armor All wash maybe once, then finished it up with Mother's carnauba (sp?) wax. But I was anxious to try out Meguiars because I knew they were top in the game... so I can't really say, WOW, Megs make so much of a difference!

But Megs is great!! You could say I am partial to them...

Old 04-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Ford Lariat:

Why don't you post a picture of your truck instead of that Focus?

I mean, if I owned both a Lariat and a Focus, I think I'd be bragging on the Lariat instead, especially on an F-150 website!

What gives?

Quick Reply: NXT is so much better...