general detailing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general detailing

my truck seems to be oxidized it is a 2001. i was wondering what you guys recomend to bring it back to shape. I know alot of you use clay bars but i was wondering what kind, and how you applyed them.

thank

Old 04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
You need to wash, clay, POLISH, then wax. Clay ain't gonna help much with the oxidation. That's where the polish comes in. Get pics posted if you can, as it will help the gurus of shine to guide you down the right path...

Old 04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Suspended
I agree with King Dogg. The clay will help cleanse the paint. You need a polish to really brighten up your paint. A good cutting polish is Poorboy's SSR 1-3 line which will remove oxidation swirls and scratches. If your looking for a little less work is Klasse All in One, thats not abbrassive but definitely brightens paint. You can find both here http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...y_Code=Polish. Good luck to you. I used the SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 and then Klass AIO on this 1999 Van http://www.detailedimage.com/gal12.htm.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 PM
In order to remove oxidation, you need a good paint cleaner. An all-in-one product will not have as much of an impact as a dedicated cleaning step product. I would suggest you try, Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner. You could also try Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner (MPPP - Meguiar's) or even better if you're working by hand, ScratchX.

You might have to work a couple of coats to really remove the oxidation.

A paint polish will only give your paint a great shine or deep gloss. Polishes aren't usually good at removing below surface contamination like oxidation. Go with a dedicated cleaner that contains more abrasives than a polish to get rid of your oxidation.

Also, you don't need to wait around for a cleaner to dry. Simply work it until there is not much product showing on the car anymore. Wipe clean and then repeat if necessary. Good Luck!

-slippy

Quick Reply: general detailing