Can this scratch come out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this scratch come out?

Ok, I have a minor flaw on my truck that I can't get rid of. It is hardly noticeable and most folks wouldn't/ couldn't see it, even if I point it out but I see it and thats the important thing.
I spent this past sunday detailing my truck (just the hood and front quarter panels due to time constraints) to get it back to pristine condition.
I won't go into too many details as the use of the products have been discussed many times but I used Meguiar's DACP, followed by #9, followed by NXT using the PC for all applications.
Everything looks awesome with the exception of one minor flaw.
Here are some photos:

No flaws here but....

Zooming in to the side

You can see the scratch between the bottom two sunlight reflections. I went over this area with DACPx2 and also tried ScratchX but no luck. It is only visible in direct light.
Can any suggest another route on removing this or am I just being to picky and need to learn to live with it?
Before everyone starts saying it a truck it does not typically get used as a truck. It is more of a glorified dog hauler!

Thanks,

Gary

Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it more of a scuff?

I think that it can be dealt with but, you're probably going to need a rotary and 83 or 84.

Have any rotary experience?

RP

Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Man, I went to get a haircut after posting the above, I come out and use the Poorboy's S&W (it rained last night) only to find some new scratches on my hood. It looks as if someone may have sat something on it then dragged it across the hood. I am Po'd. Now I have to redo it. Oh well, at least it is supposed to be another nice weekend.

Since I now have to redo my hood, am I right in that the DACP will take off the wax? I don't really need to do anything else with the exception of washing prior to using the DACP do I?
Also, I am trying middle of trying out the Langka Paint Chip and had already cleaned and applied the paint to the chips and plan on completing the process tonight or tomorrow, will the DACP affect this area?

Rp, to answer your post, yeah, it's probably more of a scuff.
No rotary experience yet but I do have plans to purchase one and I already have a black hood from a MR2 to practice on.

Thanks,

Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 AM
RUSSELL336,
I've been using a DeWalt 849 buffer for almost ten years now. It's more than most need, and a bit heavy for most jobs, but a good all around buffer/polisher that has a variable speed setting. Combine that with a good selection of pads (I like Meguiars), and you'll see why detailers get better results in a lot less time. I would get lots of practice on that donor hood though. Put a few light, medium and heavy scratches on it. Wet sand a small area too. That should give you a little experience on how much of what product you need to bring the paint back. Remember one thing:slower is better. Better to keep the pad speed slow and take more time, than to tell your wife you burned your paint with your new toy.

SL

Quick Reply: Can this scratch come out?