how do you remove painted pinstrip

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you remove painted pinstrip

My truck has these up and down both sides I was wondering how do I go about removing them

Old 11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick and Boss may slay me here, but I had to remove something similar from a boat I purchased a few years back. What I had was a hand painted (professionally done) name on the transom. As nice as it was, it wasn't the name I wanted the boat to have. I made a few calls to folks who do that type of work and got the same reply from every one of them: Spray a little Easy Off oven cleaner on and wait a few minutes. Then, gently wipe it off. It seems that the caustic nature of the oven cleaner acts as a mild paint stripper. When I asked about damaging the surrounding area, I was told that the paint they use is not as durable as factory paint and therefor comes off easier. (Yup, this was the big leap of faith.) Oddly enough, it worked perfectly, but a boat is made out of fiberglass and the paint I removed was on top of gelcoat - not paint.

Now for a few cautions. Since the oven cleaner is caustic - and strips paint - I wouldn't go leaving it on for too long. It will surely remove the next few layers of (factory) paint on your truck too. I'd also avoid letting the oven cleaner drip into areas where it might get trapped - like the door handles. I'd suggest a very complete flush with lots of water when you're done. I'd also suggest trying a very small (out of the way) area first to verify that this works. Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply

I tried the oven cleaner and it does not work.I am beginning to wonder if a shot of clear coat was put on over these pinstrips.I got the ones off the sideview mirriors with laquer thinner,but i cannot get the ones on the truck to come off

Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear coat is a distinct possibility. Be very careful with anything too aggressive. Acetone and other "hot" thinners might take off the pinstripe, but they might wipe out your paint job too. A trip to a local body shop that you trust might be in order here.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Ok, I didn't want to touch this one, but I couldn't resist. 3M makes a pinstripe removal wheel that can be used with a drill. It works equally well on painted stripes as well as vinyl stripes. As long as the paint is not lacquer, which I do not believe you can purchase anymore. The 3M wheel can be purchased at most autobody supply stores.

You could also try to sand the stripes off with 1500 - 2000 grit paper if you are feeling brave. I would leave this to a professional. The wheel should work good. just don't apply any pressure to the paint, and keep it moving from right to left.

P.S. It does make a mess, but it should just wash off.

Quick Reply: how do you remove painted pinstrip