More PC Help Please

Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More PC Help Please

Can some of you more experienced members help me out and answer an few question for me
1. How often do you really need to polish (what is your criteria)
2. What pads and speed do you use on a PC while polishing?
3. Any tips to know when polishing?
4. How often do you wax?
5. What pads/bonnets and speed do you use on a PC while waxing?
6. Any tips to know when waxing?

I know this is alot of information to post but I sure would appreciate it. Thank so much

Old 09-24-2004, 01:39 AM
More info

Just some more information on my personal situation:
My truck is 4 months old now. Had it clayed, polished, waxed the second day I had it. I have washed and waxed it by hand ever since. There are no swirl or scratch marks on it.

P.S. heres a pic

Final question:
Can I get even a better appearance using my new PC?

Last edited by GBTexas; 09-24-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Re: More PC Help Please

Originally posted by GBTexas
Can some of you more experienced members help me out and answer an few question for me
1. How often do you really need to polish (what is your criteria)
2. What pads and speed do you use on a PC while polishing?
3. Any tips to know when polishing?
4. How often do you wax?
5. What pads/bonnets and speed do you use on a PC while waxing?
6. Any tips to know when waxing?

I know this is alot of information to post but I sure would appreciate it. Thank so much
GB,

1. The criteria for polishing really depends on the individual situation. If you see significant swirls.......... it's time to polish. If the finish looks a little "dull"......... it's time to polish and/or clean the paint. I usually give my vehicle one "heavy duty" polishing once a year, and one additional "light" polishing once a year......... but it depends on a lot of variables.

2. For an aggressive product like DACP, Poorboy's SSR2.5, or similar products, I like to use the Meguiar's red cutting pad (sometimes a polishing pad) with the PC set at around 4.5 - 5.

For a product like Meguiar's #9, SSR2, or similar products, I like to use a Meguiar's polishing pad with the PC set to around 4.5 - 5.

For an extremely light polish like Meguiar's Pro hand polish, SSR1, or my new favorite........ Menzerna Final Polish II, I like to use a Meguiar's finishing pad with the PC set on 5 to really bring up the gloss.

3. Tips....
Prime the pad with a little QD before you start.
Apply a good "X" pattern of product to the pad.
Place the pad on the vehicle, and spread the product around the area you are going to work (about a 2' x 2' area) before you turn the machine on.
Turn the machine on to about 3, and make sure the product is distributed to the area (and the pad is primed with the product)
Then turn the machine up to the speed you want, and work the area by moving the PC "SLOWLY"........... did I mention "SLOWLY"!
Follow the manufacturers instructions for working the product....... sometimes leaving the area just a little wet, sometimes working the product until it starts dusting.
Wipe the area with a clean towel, and remove any remaining product or dusting.
Re-work the area if required with the product until you are happy with the results.

4. Wax when you get the urge! Frequent waxing wont' hurt, provided you are using good tools, and proper techniques. Once a month or every 6 weeks or so is a good plan.......... depending on the wax/sealant.

5. I sometimes apply waxes/sealants with Meguiar's finishing pad with the PC set at around 3 for carnauba waxes, and 4 or 5 for sealants. You can remove the wax with a Meguiar's bonnet, or DFTowel bonnet over a finishing or polishing pad with the PC set anywhere from 3 to 5. Removing some product with a PC and bonnet really seems to "add" something........... with some other products, there doesn't seem to be an advantage over hand removal.

6. This one depends on the wax. Some products are WOWO (wipe on, wipe right off) products, some product require "hazing" time before they are removed. Always try to follow the manufacturers instructions first on the product you are going to use. You can also ask questions in forums like this on the specific product you are going to use for better tips. The best tip I can give you hear, is use a good wax, and good clean high quality applicators and towels in the process.

Can you get a better appearance with a PC................. well, I personally would say yes. However, you can do some great work by hand, and if your vehicle is new (like yours) and well maintained, you may not see a big difference. A PC really comes into it's own when you need to start polishing to remove swirls, or increase gloss............... and it makes the process so much easier.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Hope RP doesn't give me heck for "Post Whoreing"!

Last edited by Boss_429; 09-26-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for taking the time and giving me very good quality information.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: More PC Help Please

Originally posted by Boss_429
EDIT: Hope RP doesn't give me heck for "Post Whoreing"!
No whoring there... just a quality post. (you're just jealous because of my complete post from last time... )

Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Re: Re: Re: More PC Help Please

Originally posted by RockPick
(you're just jealous because of my complete post from last time... )
Very!

Whoops........... this one is "post whoring"!

Search this Thread