Applying damp vs dry

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Applying damp vs dry

Why do some wax/polish companies suggest applying there product with a damp terry cloth or applicator and some say just apply, and not damp? Do you have to keep rinsing the applicator when applying damp?

Old 09-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueOvalFitter,

In the case of products that recommend a damp applicator, you don't need to rinse it out so to speak. Every once in a while give the app a spritz of distilled water, or QD (whatever is recommended), and make sure the applicator is just "damp". If you use water, and leave the applicator soaking "wet", it can cause some "hazing" of the product, as the moisture gets trapped on the paint surface underneath the protective coating.

Of course, if the applicator becomes fairly dirty, switch to a clean one in a hurry............... no sense rubbing "crap" back into the paint. I sometimes go through several applicators (and towels)when doing a large vehicle with a product that has cleaning ability.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey BlueOvalFitter

I see your in Seffner, and I guess your a pipefitter?
Where do you work?
You in the union?

Sorry for all the questions, but Iam a noiseyflucker

Old 09-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Yep,I am a pipefitter.I work for a local mechanical company from Largo,Fl. We do chill water systems.And no,i'm not in the union.I was back in Louisiana,where I did my apprenticeship program in Local 198 pipefitters union.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Boss_429, I wish I had read your post before starting.The applicator was a bit wet and it did just as you said.BTW,I used NuFinish polish after I clayed.I made a post about it over at FTW last year when I bought the stuff and still had some left.How can I remove the haze marks before I wax,polish again? I bought some Meguiars NXT wax.How should I apply it,wet,dry,foam or terry applicator?

Old 09-11-2004, 08:31 PM
BlueOvalFitter,

I believe that NuFinish is also some kind of synthetic wax. I really don't like using "water" with synthetic waxes, unless the directions specifically say to do so. Also, the "hazing" can also be caused by too heavy a coat of product, and not enough drying time.

Anyhow, I would just wash/dry/QD the vehicle (that alone may remove the hazing), and then apply a "thin" coat of NXT. The NXT has some very light polishes in it that should remove any remaining the hazing. To be sure, pick an area that is still hazed up (if any), and apply the NXT and allow it to dry about 15 to 20 minutes, and remove it. If for some reason, those things don't clear up the hazing (and they should), you may need to go to a cleaner wax like ColorX before the NXT.

As for NXT application, I usually use a dry applicator, or give it a light spritz of Final Inspection QD............ but not water. Then, I put several very tiny drops of the NXT on various parts of the applicator and spread it around a bit, and then squeeze it a bit to move the product all over the surface of the applictor.

However, I've never read the directions on the back of the NXT bottle, as I have recieved numerous samples of the product in smaller generic bottles.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Talking WOW!

Boss_429,I did just as you said; washed again,dryed,and QD'ed,followed by a light coat of NXT! HOLY S***! I could not believe the results! I kept asking myself,"Is that my truck"? What a shine! And the paint looks so deep! After I finished my complete detail, I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few items and a guy asked if mine was a 2002 or 2003,because he had a 1998 F150.He was in awe when I told him it was a 97!
Again,thanx for your help,Boss_429!
BTW,are you a professional detailer?

Old 09-12-2004, 07:42 PM
BlueOvalFilter,

You are welcome............... glad you like the results!

Yes, I was a professional detailer for many years. It's really tough work doing it 8 - 10 hours a day for 5 to 6 days a week. I decided to give it up for easier work (software development)!

Anyhow, I still enjoy doing it as an enthusiast, and helping out where I can.

Quick Reply: Applying damp vs dry