New Truck - how long before wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck - how long before wax? UPDATE - I did it, pic inside.

I just got my 2004 FX4. The build date is 6/10/04 and I am wondering how long I should wait until it is safe to wax? Thanks guy's!

Last edited by Timberghost; 08-06-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pre-warning: You're going to get 20 different answers to this question.

If it were my truck...

I'd go ahead and wait at least another 30 days. According to a PPG Paint Rep that I talked to at Meguiar's back in April when I was there for an Advanced Surface Care class, the paint will continue to 'cure' for several weeks beyond rolling out of the plant. The paints at the plant are catylized but, you'll still have some degree of 'drying' and thus, you don't want to seal it in so that it won't dry.

Dry times are going to vary on every vehicle though. Your environmental conditions will dictate alot of these factors and thus, there's no perfect answer.

Again, if I had the keys to this truck, I'd be smacking a coat on it towards the middle of August.

RP

Old 08-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wax it right away. Some dealerships wax a vehicle right when it gets to them during their check in detail.

Factory paint on a vehicle is baked at the factory and is well cured by the time you got it. Most people claim 30 days for aftermarket paint, which isn't baked, and your truck is older than 30 days. Factory paint is also different than aftermarket paints.

Get to work detailing that new rig!

Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 AM
I agree with Intel. It's well past 30 days and the factory paint is baked on. Much more durable out of the booth than a repaint.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:20 AM
wax that beauty already... let it shine - let it shine

Old 08-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Well, I had a pretty crappy day at work today and decided that I'm gonna clean up my new truck. After a good scub-down I went to work with the NXT. It was dark before I got to the wax so I pulled into the garage and went at it. Two hours later she was done and it looks pretty good (for being dark outside anyway). The only bad thing about the first wax job is that you find ALL of the factory imperfections in the finish. There are quite a few scratches on the tailgate and a spot that looks like a grease stain in the paint??? I think that I'll be asking for a new tailgate tomorrow afternoon. I'll snap a picture in the morning before work and post it so yall can critique my handy-work.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, here are the results of the NXT on my truck. I really need to practice taking pictures.

Quick Reply: New Truck - how long before wax?