Those w/ paint/body experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those w/ paint/body experience...

Well, I've decided to get my truck painted the stock silver, and do a few other things to it appearance-wise like drop a little lower, and a few other accessories. My delima is this:

I will have to get the hood, bumper, headlight surround piece and right front fender all painted silver since I am replacing those parts. Then, they will have to blend into the passenger side door, and the driver's side fender to get it to match. If I go this way, I worry that I will be able to look at the truck from the side and see a different color on each end of the truck. I know it will be blended and I won't be able to see the blend (so the guy swears), but I still feel that it won't look right.
My other option is to get the whole thing repainted at a local dealership. My question here is, will the paint job be near as good as it was from the factory if I go this way? My dad says it will chip easier because they are just painting over paint(after sanding it and prepping) so it will just be thicker. If I get the whole thing repainted at a dealership, will it hold up well?

Have any of you ever had your trucks repainted at the dealership, or had to have a great deal of your truck repainted, and then blended with the rest of the paint. I need to know what will be my best option here. There's about $1100 difference between the two. I wont mind spending the extra money if the full paint job will hold up well. I am very picky.
Sorry for the long post, but I need to make a decision this week, and I need some opinions. Anyone with any knowledge or experience, please chime in.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
To blend or not to blend

It really boils down to two things, and two things only.
The quality of the paint, and the experience/quality of the painter applying it. This is true whether you go to a dealership or regular shop. The best paints are either Dupont, or PPG. Most all major body shops will use one of those two brands, look for signs inside the office stating Dupont certified, or PPG ceritfied. I would never allow anything other than Dupont or PPG brand paint to be put anywhere near my truck!! Never.

Another thing, ask if the body shop has a "paint booth" If no paint booth, run out of there as fast as you can!! You'd be surprised how many shops do not have a paint booth, a paint booth uses high tech lighting, is totally atsmophere controlled, Temp, Pressure, etc. This is extremely important! Paint booths are also extremely expensive, so most small shops can't afford em. Chances are good the dealer has a paint booth and uses either Dupont or PPG. But if your other body shop does also, it will come down to the quality of the painter himself.

As far as the blending goes, trust me, if done correctly, you'll never be able to see or know any difference what so ever. I would get mine blended because its just not worth an entire paint job. Blending is fine if done right.

Now, when you go to pick up your truck, examine it very, very closely, ask them to park it in the sunlight if they have it hidden in the shade, sometimes they have a reason to hide it in the shade! Look at it from every possible angle in the sunlight, I mean lay down on the ground if you have to. Look for "overspray" on the trim and windows. Feel the windows for rough feeling overspray. Dont worry about looking embarassed, they'll begin to realize you know what to look for, and if they try to distract you from your inspection, start looking harder.

Now if you find any noticable problems, I mean if you can see it, then they should be able to see it too, so they cant deny it, and you should demand a explanation. Chances are though, everything will be fine, most shops are excellant and you shouldnt worry. Just inspect it real good just in case, this is true weather you get it blended or get a complete paint job.

P.S. Light colors like white or silver are really easy to blend. Also do not hand wash your truck for a few weeks after, let the clear coat and paint really fully cure before rubbing anything on it, even a wet soapy sponge. Just take it to a car wash and let the soapy water spray clean it. I personally try never to hand wash my truck, and I still have not one single swirl or scratch! Alot of people use a sponge that collects grit and dirt, especially if they drop it on the ground, and then just rub it all over there paint like sand paper. Once a sponge or rag hits the ground, it should thrown away, if you value your paint. Let me know how you come out.

Last edited by mike k7; 07-01-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 AM
I am interested in how your paint job came out. Im thinking of getting my whole truck re-painted

.........Thanks for the post mike a lot of good info there....

Quick Reply: Those w/ paint/body experience...