Boss/Rockpick help

Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss/Rockpick help

Well I took my first shot at doing my new truck... I am very disappointed...

Basically I learned 3 things today...

1. Claying does provide you the opportunity to get to know your truck
and I have determained I have a crappy paint job...

There are bumps that appear to be debris (dirt sand something) in/or under the paint. See the pics

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3539&anum=6232
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3537&anum=6232
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3536&anum=6232

I have these in numerious places on then drivers side... Clayed the heck out of them as well as used #9 with the PC to no avail they are in there! Now what do I do about this? Hit the stealership up for a paint job?

2. The place i am rented has the websters definition of hard water
I was fighting a loosing battle with waterspots... More later on this later...

3 How do you guys reach the roof of the cab and the top of a cap... Even with a step stool I can't reach more then a little ways onto the roof and the water spots are horrable up there... and no clue how I can wax it...

4. What removes water spots once they are there?

On a positive note the PC was pretty cool, I need pratice but it does seem to help, diffanatly need more MF towels, bonnets and pads!

Please help I hope to go round 2 with the truck tommrow...

Jim

Old 05-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Can't help you with the bumps. Paint defects are covered for 1 year under warranty I believe.

As for getting to the top of the cab, I had to go and buy a 6-foot ladder to reach the top. I have a SCrew so it was definitely a must have to clean the tops. As for the water spots, I have been using the Mr. Clean system. I ran out of their soap, but I just used my own in it and it worked fine. The filter is the really great part. Where I am living now, we get our yard water from a well so it is very hard! The filter on the Mr.s Clean really cut this down. Then just polish and/or wax and what little spots you have left will be taken care of.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you feel those spots. It looks like it.

They look like either something has stuck and seriously bonded to the paint or something was there and painted over.

I've never personally seen it but heard from another detailer in my area that has to battle these seeds that stick to people's paint and they're seirously difficult to get off for him. I forgot what kind of tree it was and don't know what they look like. Could possibly be something similar.

Water Spots can etch your paint. Sometimes a compound and rotary can take them off. Other times you may have to do Wet Sanding and sometime you are just SOL.

For reaching the center of the cab and cap go buy a high ladder. That's all I can suggest. Not tools I know of to reach up there.

Old 05-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
Could you feel those spots. It looks like it.

They look like either something has stuck and seriously bonded to the paint or something was there and painted over.

I've never personally seen it but heard from another detailer in my area that has to battle these seeds that stick to people's paint and they're seirously difficult to get off for him. I forgot what kind of tree it was and don't know what they look like. Could possibly be something similar.

Water Spots can etch your paint. Sometimes a compound and rotary can take them off. Other times you may have to do Wet Sanding and sometime you are just SOL.

For reaching the center of the cab and cap go buy a high ladder. That's all I can suggest. Not tools I know of to reach up there.
yes they are quite noticably raised like they painted over something i would guess raised a few thousonds...

As for the Hard water spots I just made them today, I am hoping i can wash them off tommrow, will have to find that Mr clean gizmo ASAP! and a step ladder... thanks...

Jim

Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by vtn98
Can't help you with the bumps. Paint defects are covered for 1 year under warranty I believe.

As for getting to the top of the cab, I had to go and buy a 6-foot ladder to reach the top. I have a SCrew so it was definitely a must have to clean the tops. As for the water spots, I have been using the Mr. Clean system. I ran out of their soap, but I just used my own in it and it worked fine. The filter is the really great part. Where I am living now, we get our yard water from a well so it is very hard! The filter on the Mr.s Clean really cut this down. Then just polish and/or wax and what little spots you have left will be taken care of.
The 6 foot step was just what the doctor ordered... Was a real improvment!

I will have to get the MR clean... sounds like the trick.

Today i went to the local touchless for a quicky wash and "spot free rinse" What was left the PC and Meg # 9 removed with ease...

Got coat # 2 of NXT looked pretty good from what I could tell as light was fading fast when I finished...

Jim

Old 05-30-2004, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jimmer
As for the Hard water spots I just made them today, I am hoping i can wash them off tommrow, will have to find that Mr clean gizmo ASAP! and a step ladder... thanks...

Jim
If they're fresh, then they shouldn't be too difficult to remove. Some vinegar will help if they're difficult to remove.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Jimmer,

Yep, those spots look like particles that were painted over. The paint job on the new Ford trucks leaves something to be desired. I had the chance to look at a bunch of 04's.............. the paint jobs were very poor.............. especially on the dark colors.

Anyhow, you could take it back to the dealer for touch up........... but it might come back looking worse than already does, unless your dealer's bodyshop is top-notch.

Unfortunately, some, or all of those specs will come loose and you will have paint chips/white specs on the paint that you will have to touch up.

Search this Thread