Got my PC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my PC

Rockpic and other experts...

Just got my new PC..

OK what speeds do you recommend for what operations?

Also what pads do you use? I have classic pads Grey, yellow and white... what pads are for what operations?

Jim

Old 05-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lake Country pads? If so, I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with them...

I think most folks will agree that a wax or a polish should be applied at '4' or a little better (maybe 4.5) or at least that's my preference.

Also, be aware that different products need to be 'worked' in different ways. For example, when you're utilizing one of Meguiar's abrasive polishes (like #83 or #9 -- just to name a couple), you'll want to work them until they have a very slight 'wet cut' or are just barely still wet. This way, they have the opportunity to break down properly (you've probably heard the term diminishing abrasives mentioned here before). The abrasive action in the aforementioned polishes is what will actually deal with your problems (along with some fillers and other ingredients).

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 05-24-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...

I use Meguiar's,
going to give nxt a try followed by #26

ok pads are Classic Advanced
Variable Contact

the Yellow (cutting) = Meguiar's burgandy

the Classic White (polishing) = Meguiar's Yellow

The Classic Grey (finishing) = Meguiar's beige

I am sorry not being a detailer or body man but that dosn't mean much to me... I was hoping you could help just new and trying to figure out what pad to use with what product...

Thanks for your paitence...

Jim

Last edited by Jimmer; 05-24-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

I'll try to help out... just not familar with those pads but, since you gave a comparison there, I'll take a stab.

First and foremost, have you dealt with the small scratches and/or swirls? Have you clayed? Are you interested in doing that and/or do you feel like you need to do that? I ask only because you have a wide array of pads there and, in reality, you only need one of them in my opinion.

For the NXT and/or #26, use the finishing pad. You should clean the pad inbetween products however.

RP

Old 05-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks

Yes I plan on claying the truck or at least trying... I have some new claymagic blue (fine) I figure then i will see if there are any scratches or swirls... and go from there... I hope I don't have to go here because i don't really know what product I would need...

As for pads they came in a Kit for the PC also came with spary bottles, 2 Microfiber bonets/2 Micro towels... figured they would cover all the bases in one shot...

Also I did notice something that to me sounds like what people call orange peal... or what what it would look like anyway (pant don't look completly perfecty flat and uniforn) a likke wavy or rippled... so it mildly distorts the reflection

I figure to look at it after stripping the dearler wax and claying to see if is really there.

Jim

Last edited by Jimmer; 05-24-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

Sounds like a slick kit that you got your hands on there!

Please feel free to ask us additional questions if you have concerns or anything about the clay... also, if you have some swirls (which I bet you probably do if the stealership went over your vehicle prior to tossing you the keys), we'll be happy to help!

RP

Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 PM
wow your fast...

was editing the above post...

I have noticed something I believe is called orange peel... looks kind of wavy/distorded not perfectly flat and uniform and glossy

I will try to get a closeup pic in the next day or so with the Digital...

Oh here is the Kit http://www.properautocare.com/delporcaback.html
DM-DLX Deluxe Pad Kit contains:
One 6 inch Flexible Velcro Backing Plate
One 6 inch Lambswool Compounding Pad for leveling rough surfaces (the Lambswool pad is also used as a cushion under the terry and Microfiber bonnets.
One 7.5 inch, Advanced, Yellow Compounding Pad for removing swirls and oxidation.
Two 7.5 inch, Advanced, White Polishing Pads to restore the paint's gloss.
One 7.5 inch, Advanced, Grey Finishing Pad to apply your favorite liquid wax or paint protectant.
Two 6 inch Terry bonnets for buffing.
One 6 inch Microfiber bonnet for final buffing.
Two water bottles.
Three Microfiber cloths for removing compound and polish residues.

Jim

Old 05-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Moderator &

Hey Jim,

Be careful utilizing those larger 7.5" pads. I've heard of several people messing up their PC as it's really not designed to handle that large of a pad. 6" is as large as I would go.

I noted that you received a couple of bonnets with your kit. Use the MF bonnet. You'll LOVE it.

The description that you've given about your orange peel is dead on and I'm almost positive that's what you have. It's standard equipment on nearly every Ford that I've ever looked at... nature of the beast. Unfortunately, there's little to nothing you can do about it. You're just a card-carrying member of the 'Orange Peel Club' now. Welcome aboard.

RP

Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 PM
i am guessing you buff the wax with the Micro bonnet after removing the wax with the micro towel...

jim

Old 05-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 7.5" pads are real nice to use, but they are kind of a PITA to clean up. The backing on them does not bend that easy like the 6" ones. All the same you'll love the Lake Country Pads.

I use the MF bonnets to remove the wax on my last coat. I make sure I got light with the last one, and use these to remove that coat. A heavy coat, and they will do just like the directions say and cake up like crazy.

GEt a bunch of them, you'll love using them, and unless you wash bonnets every time you detail, you won't have them when you want to use them.

BTW : Get the snappy clean power for cleaning the pads. They will come out just like new after soaking for ~ 10 to 15 min. I use a full packet to 2.5 gals. I actually have a 2.5 Gal bucket with a Gama seal lid on it, and one the coultion gets nasty I change it.

Congrats on the kit, you won't be sorry for getting it.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 PM
yes i have discovered i need a few more bonnets another grey pad and sme snappy cleannn in the mean time what can i clean them with as i hope to go nuts this weekend...

Jim

Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Jimmer
Also I did notice something that to me sounds like what people call orange peal... or what what it would look like anyway (pant don't look completly perfecty flat and uniforn)
I read this post this morning and was looking at a picture of a emblem which was close up. This is what orange peel looks like. You can see it where the light is reflecting.

Only remedy is to wash and wax it for 10 years and it will eventualy smooth out or you can buff / re-clear and buff. It's part of a factory paint job.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
yup that is it...

jim