Pro detailing worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro detailing worth it?

I am no pro detailer. I do try to was my truck at least once a week and keep a good coat or two of wax on it (NXT). My question is, would it be worth it to have my truck detailed once a year or so or would their waxes and polishes not work well with my NXT? Also, if I need to, when is the best time of year to have it detailed, just before winter for protection or just after so it looks good in the summer? What should I look for when shopping around for a detailer? Thanks for any opinions.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:48 PM
I haven’t heard if the NXT is as durable as Zaino. In other words if it will last as long. It is a synthetic like Zaino so I would think it would last as long. 3 coats of Zaino will last a good 4 – 6 months no problem so I can’t see why 3 coats of NXT wouldn’t last as long.

With that said I would say no that professional detailing is not worth it. You sometimes have to look long and hard to actually find a “real” professional detailer. That is basically the reason I went researching a few years back to find a product that I could use and would do what I needed, a great shine to last a good while and not have to use a buffer. I found Zaino and it works for me.

I got tired of the “professional” detailers getting wax residue on my plastic trim then cover it up only for me to find it the next time I washed the truck.

Since your winters are most likely like ours here in NH, snow, salt etc I would recommend either a 3 coats of the NXT towards the end of fall, before it gets to cold to do it by hand, or if you choose to go to a detailer take it then. That way your paint will be protected through winter.

Then in the beginning of spring polish again with another 3 coats or take it to the detailer. I don’t care what any “professional” detailer tells you there is no wax, polish or product that will last a whole year even if you lived in California with no salt on the road.

Anyway I am sure the pro’s like RockPick, Boss, APT and others will be along with excellent recommendations…

Oh, not to mention that most "professional" detailers will most likely charge a few hundred dollars each time you take it in...

Old 05-16-2004, 07:50 PM
It sounds like you do the job very well yourself. I don't ever let "others" do mine. I don't say "pro's" because what you usually get is a pro sales pitch and your truck handed over to grunts. I like to pick exact products, know the job was performed right, and avoid damages of any kind. I don't worry about seasons, I just keep adequate protection year around. If I had to use a pro, I would get referrals and watch them.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:33 PM
I took my black Explorer to a "professional" detailer a couple of years ago. When I picked it up, it looked absolutely beautiful. I drove it back to work, and when I got out, one guy at work thought I had bought a new one. But when I got home and had more time for a thorough examination, I found two places where the paint had been burned through with a buffer. The guy refused to do anything about it, because he said my paint was "thin" to begin with. After a few weeks, my paint began to show spider webs and swirl marks like you wouldn't beleive!

The moral of the story is: Don't trust anyone with your truck! Nobody loves it like you.

Oh, and by the way, I sold my Explorer (at a huge loss, because of the paint) and just bought a 2004 Lariet SuperCab.....loaded with everything possible except moonroof. I love it, and will never trust it with someone else to detail.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are like most people out there in the world Sherm; you want a great looking vehicle and you apply a coat of wax here and there but, overall, you want it to be as worry-free and hassle-free as possible. That's A-O-K as you're not a minority. In fact, you're the reason that detailing companies exist.

Those that do exist are typically pretty competent however; there will always be a bad egg or two in the bunch.

My suggestion is this. Spend the $ and have it detailed but, stick around with the guy while he's doing your truck. The reason I mention this is because you'll be able to pick up on some techniques and products that he utilizes to make your vehicle come back to life. Also, you'll be able to discuss your expectations on the detail as well as he or she being able to explain to you what he/she can and cannot accomplish. Remember, a detailer doesn't work voodoo but can, on a good day, make a vehicle that is in pretty poor shape look nearly new again.

As far as interferrence with the NXT... I don't think you have anything to worry about. The reason I say this is because most 'full-details' will involve something in the process that will, most likely, strip off the NXT. This step may be a slightly abrasive polish to deal with nominal swirls or something as simple as a clay job (which EVERY detail should come with). In short, some of the NXT will be removed no matter what and the products that they follow up with will cover the areas where NXT protection has been removed.

Depending on the 'final product' that the detailer uses for the protection coating, you may be able to follow up his/her work with NXT to add a bit of depth and a great deal of durability.

So, in summary, spend the $ and have it done by a competent person. Do your homework to find someone that will do a great job and doesn't expect your left leg for payment. I think it'd be money well spent!

RP

--If I was somewhere near you, I'd do it for you pretty cheap... I have been known to work for beer as well... HA!

Last edited by Rockpick; 05-16-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Bigsherm..... I sincerely hope you have a better stock of 'pro' detailers to select from than we do here in Orlando. Over time I've gotten to know almost everone that's a reputable local detailer, and I will tell you without hesitation that none of them would ever be permitted to touch my truck. Base on my personal experience, I'd have to respectfully disagree with Rock's comment about "bad apples". Personally, I feel there are a very few "good apples" amongst the majority of folks doing detail work.

I would however agree with Rockpick's suggestion to look long and hard and do your homework before selecting a detailing shop. I'd also recommend sticking around like Rockpick suggested, but for a different reason. Watch them like a hawk, and the minute they do something inappropriate (like laying a buffing pad on the ground, or wiping one off and re-using it after it's fallen on the ground), stop the whole process, and take the truck from them.

I've seen time and time again what horrific work some of these guys have done to really pretty (and expensive) vehicles, so do be careful.

Good luck.

-Mike-

Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 AM
OK, I've been scared straight. My truck looks good right now and I plan on keeping it that way with the gentle touch of my own hands. Maybe years down the road if the paint gets to be in bad shape, I'll take the chance on a detailer (or drive it out to Rockpick!). Until then, I am going to have to continue to due research on the internet and try new products to see what works for me and increase my knowledge. I do enjoy caring for my truck my truck so it won't be a problem. Thanks for all of the great advice and suggestions.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will say the same holds true for a few good apples in the bunch around where I live.
They do the wash, polish, filler the snot out of it, then clean the interior and windows.

I have seen quite a few people that use one near me, they look great until the first wash, then all the swirls show again. It is almost as if they use something like a polish with filler, and no wax over it. Go figure, I don't know what service they purchased; as in did it specify they were using wax, or synthetic protector, or just a "detail".

For the cost of 2 details ( cost around here at least ) get a PC kit from one of the online retailers, and a supply of what brand product you prefer, and take the time to do it yourself. It will turn out better then the pro shop, and after you get your "grove" going with the process, it will look better then new

Just look at RP, Mr. wouldn't use a PC, he is now looking at getting a rotary polisher

Old 05-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by SSCULLY
Just look at RP, Mr. wouldn't use a PC, he is now looking at getting a rotary polisher
It actually came in today along with a gallon of Engine Coat, two gallons of FD, and a gallon of Citri-Gel.

RP

Old 05-18-2004, 06:02 PM
It seems that a common thread is the need to find a competent detailer. My daughter asked around and received multiple recommendations for the same place. She got the job done and it was excellent. So I'll take my KR there. Alternatively, you can always use the wifey's car as a test case.

Oh, yes. I'm now single...

Old 05-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
It actually came in today along with a gallon of Engine Coat, two gallons of FD...<snip>..
Only 2 GAL ??

I actually need to order another case sometime. It is not like it has a short shelf life like milk. Then again I go through more FD then Milk. Now when it comes to N-CA Cabs, or Cotes-du-Rhone Villages wines, that is a toss up. It might be more wine then FD

Which rotary did you go with ?

The dual mode Makita I am getting the hang of more and more.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by bigsherm77
OK, I've been scared straight. My truck looks good right now and I plan on keeping it that way with the gentle touch of my own hands. Maybe years down the road if the paint gets to be in bad shape, I'll take the chance on a detailer (or drive it out to Rockpick!). Until then, I am going to have to continue to due research on the internet and try new products to see what works for me and increase my knowledge. I do enjoy caring for my truck my truck so it won't be a problem. Thanks for all of the great advice and suggestions.
Professional detailers do offer a great service if you don't feel comfortable to do it yourself or just don't have the time. It really isn't that difficult to do yourself though. Here is a link to a great detailing site and you can learn a lot searching through the board. You will find product recommendations and techniques to help create that professional shine. Good luck and enjoy the reading.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Old 05-19-2004, 12:44 PM
petersde

Would you be willing to PM or e-mail me the detailer you came up with. I live in the SouthBelt area near Gulf Freeway and the Beltway. I, too, am connected to NASA. I am DOD at a DOD contractor that happens to have NASA contracts and we assist NASA with contracting and audit.

Anybody with a rag, a waterhose and a can of wax can call themselves a detailer. It is a relatively inexpensive business to start. I know there are good ones out there. There is one in west Houston that was near where I used to work and he did a great job of taking care of my cusomized Ford van.

I have a 2004 SCrew XLT and a 1999 SCab XLT Flairside. It is getting harder to detail them myself in my old age, especially in the 95 degree heat and 95% humidity.

Thanks.......................

Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
DETAILERS

I tried a "PRO" detailer once and was very dissappointed with
the results. I've used Meguires Gold Class wax and very carefully buff it off with a Sears 9" orbital buffer. I do not bear down on the buffer but let it's weight do the work. Iam very pleased with the outcome and will never use a pro again. I have not seen any swirl marks or anything else to keep me from doing this myself.

This is just my thoughts.

RACCOON :

Old 05-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are different skill levels in Professional detailing. Professional detailing just means they work for money. Doesn't mean they are any good at it. Those guys vacuming your car out quickly as it comes out of an automatic car wash at a high production wash place can be considered professional detailers because they do it for money.

Best way to find one is to ask people for recommendations and talk to the guy who does the detail work. Do they know what they're talking about? If they can explain the process they use and the chemicals they use, then they probably know what they're doing.

Last edited by Intel486; 05-26-2004 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro detailing worth it?