Different Wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different Wax

hey
i have been using the turtle wax tub carnauba for the first year i have had my truck
i am not too impressed with it and want to switch
also is it ok to switch waxes???
Should i polish it before i use a new wax??

and Which wax would you recommend to be the longest lasting and best??

I would reallly appreciate the help

Thanks in advance

John

Old 05-12-2004, 05:35 AM
I think pretty much the general consensus around here is that Meguire's NXT Tech wax is the best as far as ease of application, ease of removal, general overall luster of the vehicle after application. Since it is such a new product, it is still in the air as far as how well it holds up over time. Rock Pick could probably answer that one. There is also some boost that you can use for it(another ploy to get a few more bucks... maybe).

-Ebo

Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that is the general concensus about NXT. It is a high quality sealant, like many others on the market.

Anyway, there is nothing you have to do to switch wax brands. Some people even layer different types/brands of waxes on purpose. If you are using the old Turtle wax, there probably isn't much left on the paint if it has been more than a month since last application.

I recommend a good paint cleaner, though. Not because of the old wax, but every vehicle could improve with paint cleaner application every 6 months.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
John,

Try washing the truck in an overdose of car soap, else go the route of Dawn, strips it straight away. I'd try the overdose of car soap first, as it has ben 30 days from the last application, and it has been hot / sunny out, so if you have a dark colored truck, at least 60% of the wax has melted off.

Start with the clay bar, if you have not already done this.

Next pick any "system" you want to use for it. Some like the Meguiars 3 step system, which has everything you need, else you can go the route of pick and choose. USe a polish ( or pre-wax cleaner ) glaze is optional, and then wax.

I have done Meguiars #81, #7 and #26 with gret results. The other that I really like is the High Temp brans 1 step perfect paint, and Top of the Line carnuba wax. With this combo I cannot tell the difference between it and P21S Polish and wax, it is that close.

The other one that some use if Poorboys, but I have not tried this myself.
I have also had good results with Mother's 3 phase system, but it does not have as much depth as the ones I noted above ( sans Poorboy, again as I have not tested it ).

I tired NXT, and BlackFire and did not care for either. I have Silver, and the paint looked severly Seran wrap look to it, and the depth was not there, even after topping with a coat of #26.
The NXT came off fairly easy, but the BlackFire stuck like glue. 2 coats of Pre Paint prep a Dawn washing, and a Power Pad polishign pad, with #81 on it to get it down to nothing again.

I can only suggest if you are going synthetic, test it on one area only, so you don't have an entire truck to prep again if you don't like it like I did.

Remember paint prep is an important step just like polishing and waxing in making the finish turn out like you want it to.

Good luck

Old 05-12-2004, 06:19 PM
I have a 2003 black f150 supercab flareside

ive waxed it bout 6 times since i got it last May w/ turtle wax

i have been using dawn soap for washing... is that bad ??? does it take of my wax??? if so which soap should i use

i have eagle one car polish that i like a lot that i just used and im trying to find a wax to put on top of it that lasts a long time and leaves a good shine

i would appreciat the help
thanks for all the help so far

JOHN

Old 05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recommend using dish soap for regular washings. Yes, it removes more wax than car shampoo. Pick up a gallon of Meguiars Gold Class champoo. It is cheap ($8?) but good and will last a long time.

If you are only looking for a wax that you can purchase at a local store, try to find Meguiars Body Shop Professional #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Some auto parts stores carry the BSP line. A 16oz bottle should only be about $10-12. It is easy to apply and remove, looks excellent, and lasts a fair 60 days, the most you can expect from carnauba.

Or, my personal favorite is S100 paste wax, which you can pick up at your local Harley Davision motorcycle dealer for about $15/jar. If you go with S100, I reocmmend the S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleaners as well as a mild polish and paint cleaner prior to wax protection.

If you want more than 60 days of protection, you'll have to go synthetic. Meguiars NXT has a good reputation, is reasonably priced around $15 I think, and availible everywhere.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In addition to not using Dawn all the time, when you get a car soap, follow the dosage directions. Over dosing with car soap could also remove wax as well.

Look at it this way, rather then dropping a big old blob in the bucket, if you follow the amounts to be used ( which does not look like enough ) it will last that much longer.

Dawn will not only take off the wax, but if the polish you are using has fillers for minimizing swirls and scratches, you are also taking that off as well, so the fillers are gone, and the paint is down to nothing when you apply the wax over it.

I'd suggest #26 or P21S wax or Top of the Line carnuba Wax. The side by side testing I did, P21S and Top of the Line had the best depth and wet look to them, better then #26.

Another item to help things out is the quick detailer for using after washing. I am now using #51 ( soon to be replaced ) and it is much better then #34. I use my gal of #34 for clay lubricant now. #51 is not body shop safe, where #34 is. The silicone content is what makes the #51 look better. Either order a case of 4 Gal ( like I did ) or you can find a dealer in your area to buy it by the gal.

Good luck

Old 05-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to interject.

Meguiar's discontinued the 'Body Shop Professional' line of products a while back however; a few of them still linger around some stores.

#26 was not discontinued but rather moved over to the MIRROR GLAZE (or 'Professional' line of products). It is VERY available and a SUPER product.

Just for reference, here's a link that shows what the bottle/label looks like so that you know what you're looking for at AutoZone or PepBoys (as I know both of them have it on the shelf).

Dawn is a 'no-no'. Go with the Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo. For $8-$10 for a gallon, you'll need a year plus to go through it! That and it's one of my favorite shampoos!

RP

Old 05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Re: Different Wax

Originally posted by Johns03f150
hey
i have been using the turtle wax tub carnauba for the first year i have had my truck
i am not too impressed with it and want to switch
also is it ok to switch waxes???
Should i polish it before i use a new wax??

and Which wax would you recommend to be the longest lasting and best??

I would reallly appreciate the help

Thanks in advance

John
Here's my opinion on the questions you raised.

Turtle Wax Carnauba is a fine little wax. I would assume the reason you aren't impressed with your results is probably your Prep.

As others mentioned you should probably clay, clean and polish first if you haven't done that in a while.

However, I haven't found the differences in Carnaubas to be that great as far as lasting and best shine. It's more a matter of ease of use.

If you definitely want to try another Carnauba, you could try Mothers. It's my favorite and I like the paste wax intead of the liquid. They have a Natural Wax and an Original Wax. The Original is a combination Cleaner and Carnauba Wax and the Natural is just a Wax. I think the Mothers is easier to use. It removes really easily. They also have a cleaning and polishing system like Meguiar's and many others if you go that route.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
is liquid wax better than paste

Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Johns03f150
is liquid wax better than paste
well liquid is, if you use a machine, obviously.

I like the paste wax better, it's a little better deal economically. Also, it's more fun to apply IMHO.

I do everything by hand.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I actually like paste waxes more, and all I use is a machine.

I find that I can use less product with the paste, I take a butter knife and just graze the top and spread it around on the pad. A little goes a long way. Natty's wax works great this way!

Old 05-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by RANCH4x4ES
I actually like paste waxes more, and all I use is a machine.

I find that I can use less product with the paste, I take a butter knife and just graze the top and spread it around on the pad. A little goes a long way. Natty's wax works great this way!
great idea.

I can have both!

Quick Reply: Different Wax