Preferred Waxing Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Preferred Waxing Weather?

Is there a preferred temperature to wax my vehicle? Can it be too cold? Too hot? I know you're supposed to wax in the shade, I think? I have heard people talk about waxing their glass & wheels? This is the first vehicle I have owned that 1.) was nice enough to wax & 2.) I cared enough about to wax.
Its a 2000 Expedition- Oxford White, any tips?

Old 02-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would classify too cold at around the freezing mark. The reason being is that the main 'delivery agent' for most waxes/sealants is water. Obviously, you don't want ice crystals all over your vehicle while waxxing...

Too hot? Not sure how to answer that one. As long as the vehicle is 'cool to the touch', I'd say you're okay.

Waxing your glass and wheels isn't a bad idea in the least however, remain aware that your wipers will remove any wax on your windshield in very short order. I do, however, wax nearly all of my other glass on my SuperCrew.

Your wheels are a different beast. If you're utilizing a simple carnauba wax to do your wheels, you'll get a few days of protection maximum. The reason is because your rotors build so much heat and have to disicipate so much as well. Regular carnauba wax will basically 'melt off'. This is where a quality synthetic like Meguiar's NXT or Zaino is a great product. Being that they are synthetic, they will actually bond/cure to the clearcoat providing a much more durable, longer lasting level of protection.

Congrats on the vehicle. Take great care of it!

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Thumbs up

Hey RockPick,
Thanks for the quick response! Do you get any kind of build-up on your windows? How often do you wax your truck? Do you wax the trim around the winshield/grill ,or just use glass cleaner? I assume a metal polish on the exhaust tips, right? THANKS in advance!

Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by hotrod22
Hey RockPick,
Thanks for the quick response! Do you get any kind of build-up on your windows? How often do you wax your truck? Do you wax the trim around the winshield/grill ,or just use glass cleaner? I assume a metal polish on the exhaust tips, right? THANKS in advance!
I've never had any problem with build up. I've always used Meguiar's #26 and haven't had a problem.

Don't get wax on the trim at the bottom of the windows or, for that case, on any other plastic trim. It may or may not come off and it's much easier to treat those areas with something else (a good protectant like Vinylex or Meguiar's #40) instead. I have never waxed within each 'honeycomb' of my grill. Interesting thought though. It'd probably take me all day and I'm not sure it'd be worth the time considering that it's plastic.

I don't have tips on my truck. A good metal polish like Mother's or something like that will definately do a good job on the tips. I'm sure someone else can provide more information here as I'm not that versed in this area.

Let me know if I can help anymore. I'm glad to help...

RP

Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have applied wax in about 30 degree weather. Any colder, and my fingers are the limiting factor. It depends on the wax you use, though Pastes are more likely to work in lower temps. As for high temps, there is no number. Paint temp is the issue as the wax can dry too quickly and bond well. 70 degrees and sunny is bad, yet 90 and shade is fine. If you cannot hold your hand on the paint, then don't wax.

Some products are better about wax residue than others. M26, S100, and most synthetics are pretty good about not leaving evidence on trim. What are you using?

Waxing your glass, at least your windshield is not necessary. sometimes the wax affects wiper performance. A good paint cleaner or glass polish helps a great deal, though. The goal is to make the surface smooth and the water beads off, not get another product left on the glass to cover the imperfections.

For your exhaust tips, a metal or aluminum polish will work. I use Mothers, but I hear excellent remarks about Eagle 1 Nevr-Dull. I may try that when my current bottle runs out.

Tips for white: use a paint cleaner and/or polish. Something like Meguiars #9 or I really like S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser. It will make your vehicle brighter than you have seen white before.

General tip: use a clay bar to get the paint smoother than a baby's behind.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:31 AM
I have a Oxford white screw and this past weekend I buffed w/ 3m perfect-it 3 and a foam pad, And waxed with Meguiar's #26 and it looks fantastic!!!! I use armor-all on the trim and grill(applied w/ a wax applicator pad) I don't think I would wax in anything below 60 degree's. Because it's friggin cold

Btw...Wizards Mist and Shine works great after washes and on windows and int.

Just my two cents!!

Last edited by whitescrew01; 02-15-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Re: Preferred Waxing Weather?

Originally posted by hotrod22
Is there a preferred temperature to wax my vehicle? Can it be too cold? Too hot? I know you're supposed to wax in the shade, I think? I have heard people talk about waxing their glass & wheels? This is the first vehicle I have owned that 1.) was nice enough to wax & 2.) I cared enough about to wax.
Its a 2000 Expedition- Oxford White, any tips?
The others have given you some great info. I'll add my thoughts.......

On the temps...... anywhere from about 45 degrees on up is "acceptable" for applying/removing most polishes/waxes/sealants, with temps between 60/80 degrees being ideal. Keep in mind that "humidity" is more of an enemy to proper waxing conditions than temperature. 50 degrees and no humidity is better than 75 degrees with 100% humididty.

Most product should be applied and removed in the shade. There are a few products that can be used in direct sunlight......... but not many. Ideally, the products should be applied to a "cool" surface.

Yes, you can wax your windows and wheels. Most people find that synthetic products work a bit better than carnauba based products for those purposes. Synthetic products hold up to heat better, are clearer, and usually don't contain any oils that will streak on a windshield.

On white paint, I have found that products that darken the paint, or add depth don't do much for white paint; as darkening white paint doesnt' work, and it's nearly impossible to obtain any depth on white pigment. That being said, products that are very clear, relfective, and produce a lot of shine seem to give the best results. Generally speaking those type products are usually synthetic sealants.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Preferred Waxing Weather?