Salt in carpeting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salt in carpeting

Sorry if this has been asked before, does anyone have a effective way of getting salt out of carpet? I think good ol Wisconsin has a surplus of salt and they are not afraid to use it. I wash the truck once a week (touchless car wash) if to cold to do it by hand, and
I need to get the salt rings out of the carpet.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:54 PM
JDaddy,

Any good carpet cleaner should get the salt stains out. Just don't let them sit there too long. Clean them up ASAP!

Old 12-30-2003, 10:35 AM
JDaddy,

I don't have the salt problem, but I do live in the Midwest where I have to deal with snowy/muddy boots in the truck. Here's what I do to deal with the winter:

Invest in a shop vac if you don't already have one. I found a nice 10 gallon vac with a blower attachment (several folks around here use blowers for drying after a wash) for about $50 bucks at a local hardware store. Even without the salt issue this will come in handy when you eventually drag dirt and debris into the cab.

For prevention - Scotch guard makes a fabric protectant for autos (I have no idea how this differs from standard scotch guard, other than having a picture of a car on it) so spray some of that on your seats (if fabric) and floorboards/floor mats.

Speaking of floor mats, get some rubber/plastic mats that will keep just about everything off of your floorboards. I currently use a cheap set you can find at just about any wal-mart/target/autozone/etc, but I know a favorite "premium" floor mat with members of this board are husky liners. They are a bit pricey, but custom-fit to the contours of the truck and look pretty sharp. You can do a forum search for husky liners to find out where to buy them online.

And finally, there are a variety of stain removers geared for autos. Like the scotch guard, I don't know that they differ much from standard household cleaners, but I have a can of "spot shot" for autos that has a little scrub brush on the top to agitate and lift stains. When using a stain remover you may find that it gets the stain out, but then you have a nice clean spot on your carpet showing how dirty the rest of the carpet is. If that's the case, perhaps a handheld wetvac would be a good idea to quickly clean a large area.

Again, there may be better ways to deal with salt specifically, but this routine should help do the trick and prevent any future headaches.

Quick Reply: Salt in carpeting