Help - underside looks like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help - underside looks like crap!

The underside of my 98 F250XL4x4 looks like hell, and because it sits so tall, you can see a lot through the wheel wells.
For example, the frame rails and cross members are pretty orange (no real rust in my climate), and the rubber/plastic mudguards in the wheel wells look dusty and dull.

I thought about having the underside coated or painted, but with what? Can you use bedliner material? Should I just have it all undercoated? Advice please.

Moose

Old 11-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Someone in the 04 forum used hercaliner (sp?) to paint the wheel well area, looked like a good solution.
He had pics in his gallery, try a search for it on that forum once you find out the correct way to spell hercaliner

Old 11-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Herculiner.

Couldn't find any threads with pics of the Herculiner underside btw. Does it seem like most of the links became dead links after the move to the new server?

Old 11-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A good undercoating product maybe the answer to your problems but, I'd avoid something that was excessively thick because the metal parts down there still need to be able to give off heat. If you're not getting rid of the heat, you're going to have excess stress on the engine, as I'm sure you know.

I don't see any harm or foul in going with a spray in material in the wheel wells (then again, a nylon bristled brush, some dilute degreaser, and a lot of elbow grease will solve that without the spray in). I always spray my wheel wells down with some sort of protectant as well. It really makes them look 'deep' and helps the rubber to stand out rather than a muddy wheel well.

RP

Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
My buddy painted his hunting truck, an 83 Bronco, all over, with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating - quote "Ideal for Inner Fenders" - its over the counter at O'Reilly's Auto Parts at $8 a spray can. Anyone with experience with this stuff?

Old 11-23-2003, 07:47 AM
I had the same prob with truck looking ugly underneath. I just jacked up the truck, took off the wheels and pressure washed the frame and wheel wells then, sprayed it black with a ggod rust preventive paint looks good now!

Old 11-29-2003, 11:40 AM
I just spray a little WD-40 in the wheel wells. Makes them darker looking.

Toadman
03 Lightning
03 GT

Quick Reply: Help - underside looks like crap!