?Strongest double-sided scotch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 AM
AB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?Strongest double-sided scotch?

Hello,
It might be an inproper place for the post but please help me!
I need to attach rear bumber step plate and I need to know what is the strongest double-sided scotch for the job. One surface is the plastic and another one is the painted bumber (plastic also). I kind of don't want to have a permanent bounds.
Please, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Alex.

Old 04-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3M makes a 'foam style' double sided mounting tape which is pretty low-profile. They market it as 'emblem adhesive tape' I think. It can be found at juat about any wally hell or similar type store. I think that'll work out just fine for you...

RP

Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 3M VHB ( Very High Bond ) is what the 3M outdoor tape is at Home Depot.

Might be the same tape as the emblem tape, just a different marketing name for it.

Remember to clean both surfaces first with soap and water, then with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, not rubbing Alcohol ( 70% ) the rubbing Alcohol the other 30% are no good for cleaning the surface. If you clean it with the Alcohol and a Scotch Brite pad that should do the trick.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:21 PM
AB
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot!
The real bummer is that the ends of the step plate tend to "curl" so I really-really need a strong tape.
Hope to check the local stores for the stuff tonight.

Does somebody by any chance know what is used at dealerships to do the trick?

Alex.

Old 04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by SSCULLY
Remember to clean both surfaces first with soap and water, then with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, not rubbing Alcohol ( 70% ) the rubbing Alcohol the other 30% are no good for cleaning the surface. If you clean it with the Alcohol and a Scotch Brite pad that should do the trick.
Hey sscully, could you elaborate on the 'other 30%'? I've used the rubbing alcohol in the past with decent success but, as you indicated, I wasn't blown away with the results. ... I guess I know why now... it's that other 30%.

RP

Old 04-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Brad,

I'll have to find some rubbing Alcohol to compare the label to tell you what the difference is. I only got Isopropal Alcohol around the house.

Got me, something other then Alcohol is my guess, which may or may not evaporate before using the tape or adhesive ??

Steve

Old 04-22-2003, 08:34 AM
AB
Hi,
I checked local stores and the label says - 70% alcohol, 30% water. Me guess is - the water. You need some time to let it dry.
Alex.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SSCULLY
The 3M VHB ( Very High Bond ) is what the 3M outdoor tape is at Home Depot.

Might be the same tape as the emblem tape, just a different marketing name for it.

do a bit of local research from your local "tape vendor, the 3M tape comes in a variety of widths, thicknesses and bond strengths. Believe me, the tape is available from, easy to take off at any time, to never again brother. good luck.

Old 04-22-2003, 05:44 PM
The 3M VHB ( Very High Bond )
Thats what i use to hold my toolbox down with

Old 04-22-2003, 07:00 PM
3M double sided tape

3M is definately the best I am a Toolmaker and we actually used 3m double sided tape to clamp pieces of aluminum down to flycut them, never did they ever fly off, just had to use acetone to lift the pieces off after. If you want stuff to stay the 3M will fit the bill.

Quick Reply: ?Strongest double-sided scotch?