tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonneau cover

I was at the Ford dealership yesterday getting a price on a soft tonneau cover and they offer two kinds, the snap button type with the aluminum rails and ribs for 318.00 CDN or another kind and this one the guy behind the counter wasn't sure about he said it sat flush and it had a bead around the cover itself and it slid into what he thought were steel rails this one goes for 365.00CDN. I don't suppose anyone on this board has this kind and could they offer up some pictures, I wouldn't mind seeing both kinds before I make the plunge.

Old 04-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Here you go

Old 04-19-2003, 09:56 AM
tonneau cover

Oh that is what they look like , are they actually steel rails and are they hard to roll back? Thank you for the pics

Old 04-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if I understand you question completely so let me explain the whole system.

The bed has a rail down each side which is metal. A cross rail at the tailgate locks into place with pins. Three cross rails which are evenly spaced down the bed are inserted into notches in the side rails. They have spring loaded inserts on one end so that they stay in place.

I like the "tongue and groove" fit better than the snaps. Both have advantages. I can't take my cover off partially without it flapping in the breeze. On the other hand, the snaps are kind of a pain in the butt, especially when it's cold. It seems to take quite a while and quite a bit of effort to get all of the snaps on. Two good friends of mine have the Extang with the snaps. They like theirs and I like mine. With someone helping, I can my top on in 2 minutes. By myself, 3. The snaps would certainly take a lot longer.

Let me know if you would like pictures of the system underneath. I was going to post them here, but the digital camera battery was dead. It's in the charger now and I can take pictures later today or tomorrow.

Hunt4Fun

Old 04-19-2003, 10:32 PM
tonneau pics

thanks for the insight I appreciate the feedback, if you have time for the pics I would love it if not thanks for the insight you gave me more info then the guy at the parts desk!

Old 04-20-2003, 09:09 AM
These Pictures should help. The link is to a directory.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:51 AM
tonneau cover

wow thanks for going out of your way to answer my question I think I can definately make an informed decision now. I appreciate the time you took!

Old 04-20-2003, 07:11 PM
No trouble

No trouble at all. Others on this board have certainly helped me out with a lot of issues and questions. I took the pictures for Easter service this morning. Just took a few minutes.

Best of luck and let me know what you decide on.

Hunt4Fun

Old 04-20-2003, 11:21 PM
tonneau cover

I will post the pics of what I finally decide on!

Quick Reply: tonneau cover