My Buying Saga/Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:25 PM
WFO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Buying Saga/Tips

I decided to start looking for a replacement for my 12 FX4 recently and discovered how bad the dealers were lowballing me on trade value. I had a loaded FX4 157wb,max tow pkg , 3.73 gear. with 27k miles. All options except tailgate step. Trade offers were ranging from 27k to 30k.
I was searching autotrader.com and kept seeing "get a cash offer for your vehicle" on the site. I thought, what the hell, give it a shot. I entered my info and behold a cash offer of 34,400. Interesting enough to take it to the next step with skepticism. They sent my request to three dealers.

Tip: DO NOT put your telephone number in the request form. Stick with email contact.

There were dealers closer than the original three so I requested the cash offer details be sent there. That was a mistake because I didnt notice that that dealer was a "trade in center". Which means trades only, no cash offer. Their offer was 30,000. I am now thinking this autotrader offer is nothing but a lead generator designed to get you on the lot for the sharks to start circling. Too good to be true is whats running through my mind. So I call the cash offer dealer and they assure me that the offer should be accurate if I was truthful about the condition of my truck. They tell me I will have an offer within 20-30 minutes after arrival.They are an hour away so I decide to give them a shot.

Lo and behold they offer 34200. Had a rock chip in the windshield that actually happened on the way there. They cut me a check on the spot, paid the balance of my loan, and gave me a ride home.Painless process and no complaints.

Now its time to work a deal on a replacement. I had two trucks that I was considering. Dealer#1 has a 14 f150 Limited with 20k miles and dealer#2 is 90 miles from here and has a 14 Limited with 22 miles. Essentially a brand new truck but it was obtained from a dealer that went out of business. Autocheck shows it as never being titled. Dealer #1 price negotiated from 44k down to 39.5k but it needed tires and warranty start date was July 2014.
Dealer #2 price negotated from 45k to 43.5k with new tires and a warranty that starts the day it is purchased. Both trucks equipped the same except dealer #1 truck has a drop in bed liner (don't like) and dealer#2 has no bed liner but has the tailgate step.I went with dealer #2.

There are pros and cons for this type of replacing your truck.

Pros: Easy way to avoid getting screwed on your trade.

Cons: Losing the sales tax advantage you get when trading to the dealer. In my case it was a no brainer to the tune of a couple thousand dollars.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM
WFO
Forgot to mention, both trucks sticker price 56k and change.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Why did you trade in a truck that only had 27k miles?

Truck #1, "and warranty start date was July 2014." Why was that? I thought they weren't supposed to start until the buyer took delivery?

Otherwise, good post. It's good to know that we have other options instead of taking a beating on a trade-in.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 PM
WFO
Warranty was done on the FX4 and I just like to trade after 3 years or so.
Truck #1 had a previous owner.

Quick Reply: My Buying Saga/Tips