Ordering a Truck.. What's the typical process?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a Truck.. What's the typical process?

I've always either bought off the lot or bought used so this will be new for me.

I'm going to be going in and ordering a 2011 Eco F150 FX4 SCrew in Blue. I've looked at dealer inventories and no one within like 500 miles has a blue with eco on the lot so I know I'm going to have to order.

Couple of questions but if anyone could relate their experience I would appreaciate that also.

1) Is the negotiation usually the same or should I expect to pay more than if there was one on the lot?
2) Do you sign all the paperwork and hand over all the money (already got enough financing from my CU).
3) Has anyone had their truck show up with either extra or missing options? What do you do at that point? Make them take stuff off or put stuff on? How do you deal with price changes (either way)?
4) I haven't decided if I'm going to trade in my truck or sell it. How do you deal with keeping your vehicle until the new one comes in if you decide to trade it in?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
1. It's the same negotiation. The only thing is what incentives apply - the ones at order time or the ones at delivery time. Different dealers handle this differently, you need to ask.

2. Nope, you will be asked to place a nonrefundable deposit down and the deal is formalized on delivery.

3. That should not happen. It should show up exactly as ordered.

4. You can get a trade-in offer, but it will be subject to reappraisal at delivery.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I've ordered two trucks through my dealer so far: a 2007 F-150 XLT and one of the new 2011 F-150 XLTs with Ecoboost. Both showed up exactly as I'd ordered. My dealer uses a "final best price" system (no negotiation, but the final price has always been very competitive) and the same system is used regardless of whether the vehicle was ordered by a customer or if it came off the lot. (After all, the vehicles on the lot went through the same exact process as what you would follow when ordering. All that's different about the ones on the lot is that someone at the dealership ordered them based on what they think a typical range of customers would want, rather than you ordering exactly what you want.) And at least at my dealer, the incentives that apply are whatever is in effect at the time you close the transaction -- which can be as soon as when the factory has provided the VIN number, or as late as when you actually take delivery and drive off.

- Randy

Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info all. Ordered my FX4 w/Eco Screw in Blue Flame today. Now the waiting begins.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tindjin
Thanks for the info all. Ordered my FX4 w/Eco Screw in Blue Flame today. Now the waiting begins.
Ordered mine last week also. The eight week wait will seem like an eight month wait. This is the first time I special ordered a vehichle in twenty years, not much left on the lots to choose from in the 6.5 foot bed.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
1. Same negoiations as depending on how your dealer wants to deal with incentives mine did whatever was open at time of deliver. With on the lot vehicles I think there can be more room on them at times if they have kept them longer and are looking to clear stock.

2. No money should exchange hands. They may ask for a credit check, which I may or may not incline to do. They also might ask for a refundable deposit, mine didnt because they needed stock and if I didnt take it somebody else would. Usually real low less then 500 bucks. I think its mainly a tool to ensure you are some what serious and if you bow out they usually make you come in and get it, so its one more chance to talk to you about it

3. Shouldnt happen but common sense prevails if its not there and on the sticker price it would have to be deducted. If its there and on the sticker and you didnt order, then im sure you could get a discount but dont expect it for free. If its there and not on the sticker consider yourself lucky.

4. Yup theyll give you a trade in appraisal at the start, they may tell you it could change at delivery but barring damage 6-8 weeks shouldnt make a difference. What I like to do is know what that dealer will give me and bring the build sheet and appraisal sheet to another dealer and say beat it, if they can I switch dealers. Also a week before pick up or even days before Ill put the vehicle on craigs and ask 1-2k over trade value if it sells it sells usually puts more money in my pocket and gives somebody else a good deal.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Truck.. What's the typical process?