F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids (https://www.f150online.com/forums/bedliners-caps-tops-lids-32/)
-   -   Bed Cover - Hard or Soft? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/bedliners-caps-tops-lids/510178-bed-cover-hard-soft.html)

OhioLariat 05-06-2016 01:37 PM

Bed Cover - Hard or Soft?

My new-to-me '03 has a Leer hard bed cover. My '99 has an Extang Full-Tilt soft tonneau (with new tarp plus a spare).

Extang Soft Tonneau
1) Lightweight (~15 lbs) - 1-man removal.
2) Easy to remove for hauling larger items
3) No paint to wax, just scrub then hit with 303 a few times a year.
4) Little security
5) Not a "sleek" look, but OK with me.
6) Won't scratch if struck, something set on it, etc.

Hard Cover
1) Heavy/difficult to remove and store (~140 lbs.) - Two people required.
2) More maintenance/upkeep/care required (will also scratch easily)
3) Good looks, painted to match
4) High(er) security

Money from sale of one vs. the other aside, which one would you choose to keep, and why?

Discuss. :D

07massHD 05-08-2016 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat (Post 5193040)
My new-to-me '03 has a Leer hard bed cover. My '99 has an Extang Full-Tilt soft tonneau (with new tarp plus a spare).

Extang Soft Tonneau
1) Lightweight (~15 lbs) - 1-man removal.
2) Easy to remove for hauling larger items
3) No paint to wax, just scrub then hit with 303 a few times a year.
4) Little security
5) Not a "sleek" look, but OK with me.
6) Won't scratch if struck, something set on it, etc.

Hard Cover
1) Heavy/difficult to remove and store (~140 lbs.) - Two people required.
2) More maintenance/upkeep/care required (will also scratch easily)
3) Good looks, painted to match
4) High(er) security

Money from sale of one vs. the other aside, which one would you choose to keep, and why?

Discuss. :D

Look up undercover tonneau covers. I got mine used but in pretty good condition. It weighs much less then my fiberglass tonneau. My fiberglass on took forever to buff and was heavy!
The under cover tonneau you can remove it yourself just have to be careful. It's painted black and easy care maintenance. It locks and also goes up.
Just a thought.

Or the other option is the leer tri fold! It's a soft tonneau but is very durable my father has had the same one on several vehicles and loves it.

OhioLariat 05-08-2016 12:26 PM

Thanks for the input.

For the time being, I think I'll leave the Leer on, keep the Extang cover from the '99 in reserve, and see how it goes. I really prefer the look and security of the hard cover, but have a feeling that a few times removing it will have me seriously considering going back to the other one (and/or looking for an Undercover).

Guys, feel free to continue the comments for others' benefit!

Andy

tstjohn 05-08-2016 02:56 PM

Check out the Bakflip Revolver X2. Best of both worlds.

Wyseilmykkar_09 05-08-2016 06:05 PM

Having had both, I can vote by experience: soft tonneau, no question.

1. I can't remember the last time I saw a truck with a hard tonneau.
2. If you have a locking tailgate, you have enough security to deter most thieves unless your truck is isolated in a remote area. Not many thieves would take a knife to a cover in a public place
3. My last 4 trucks have had trifold covers. I have a nice clean line when on, but can have my full box accessible in under 30 seconds.
4. If it's only for looks, hard cover all the way. You're seriously restricting your ability to use your truck as a truck IMO.
5. While not applicable in your case, initial cost is a major deciding factor: hard tonneaus are easily 3x the price of a trifold.

My opinion only - YMMV.

OhioLariat 05-10-2016 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09 (Post 5193228)
Having had both, I can vote by experience: soft tonneau, no question.

I appreciate the added input, and will likely come to the same conclusion.

Andy

OhioLariat 05-10-2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by tstjohn (Post 5193210)
Check out the Bakflip Revolver X2. Best of both worlds.

Looks like a great solution, but I don't know about losing that ~12" of bed space (when hauling taller items).

Andy

tstjohn 05-10-2016 02:18 PM

The X2 takes up no bed space. There is no canister

OhioLariat 05-10-2016 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tstjohn (Post 5193361)
The X2 takes up no bed space. There is no canister

I was going off this pic from their web site.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...84c25453f9.png

Looks like they don't make one for the '03 Flareside anyway, and pricey! ($900+)

Andy

tbear853 05-19-2016 10:09 AM

For my uses .... I like my Undercover with pebble grain texture ..... I've even carried flat loads tied on top of it. If you know you're gonna want it off, it's really easy for myself and "Wife Unit" to lift off from sides and hang up. It weighs about 50 pounds as I recall. Very strong, I've walked on it a few times and when I bought it ..... the guy was jumping all over his personal one showing me how durable and how the pebble grain finish showed no scuffing.

I have a roll up soft cover also, it was nice and I have considered using it when I travel and there's a possibility I'll need the bed open at some point. Easy enough to swap over.

If limited to one ..... it would depend on how I use the truck.

theo45 06-13-2016 06:34 AM

If I had to choose between the two covers, I would keep the hard cover for durability and security reasons.

Bryan316 06-20-2016 08:37 AM

The only advice I can give on tonneaus, is never get any kind of tonneau that is sewn or stitched together. Soft tonneaus with vinyl and Velcro will stretch and shrink in winter, and the stitching will fail and get ugly real fast. Once they've shrunk, they are impossible to pull back smooth when reinstalling it. You'll always have wrinkles that look bad.

mete 06-20-2016 09:05 AM

My 'DiamondbackCovers ' is aluminum treadplate with a clear coat finish . The front and back sections [ there are different configurations ] are easy to remove by one person.The center section , though light weight . requires careful set-up if removed .
Good security ,loads can be placed on top, and after 7 years of use I'm happy with it !

TruckGasm 06-20-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mete (Post 5196710)
My 'DiamondbackCovers ' is aluminum treadplate with a clear coat finish.

Seriously on that clear coat? I've never seen a Diamondback cover with a clear coat. It would be very difficult to get a clear coat to stick to it.

Aaron Martin 07-15-2016 02:18 PM

I'm selling my Diamondback HD ATV Line-X cover for my 2013 F150 with a 6.5' bed. PM me if you are interested. Willing to drive 150+ miles to meet you if you are serious.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/5628551656.html