Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor BakFlip G2 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor BakFlip G2 Experience

Well I pulled the trigger on a G2 instead of a ReTrax roll away to save space in the shortbed. I like the cover for what it is but I had a poor experience with their quality control and packaging. I feel compelled to share what I went through, and am actually still going through.

First things first, you need to order the cover from an authorized dealer for Bak Industries to honor warranties. I discovered this on Amazon reviews where the cover is $100 cheaper but without an honored warranty. So I bought from SummitRacing to get the whopping 1 year warranty. When I first received the cover I opened it up right away. The first piece I pulled out was one of the side rails. It was easy to find the prop rod had a crushed clip where it mounted to the rail. I called Summit and they shipped a whole new cover instead of just the rod with clip since they don't sell the pieces separately. When I pulled that one open I found the exact same issue. The prop rod where it mounts to the rail was crushed again. Bits of plastic were everywhere. And I found the clip that holds the rod down when not propped was also crushed. I was able to compare both boxes side by side and found the issue. It wasn't so much FedEx (first box) or UPS (second box) but it was the way the pieces were packaged. Most of the parts are in the center of the box with that expanding foam surrounding it. But the side rails are all placed on the outside of the foam, up against the cardboard. The rails that were broken both had the prop rod down into the edge of the box. I can picture the edges of the box getting rubbed or dragged easily which could crush the plastic clips. I called Summit again and received permission to swap good parts from one kit to the other to make it work.

Installation was going great despite pretty lame directions. BTW the directions say use shims for 04+ F150s but neither box had them and it didn't seem I needed them. That was time wasted. When I was about done installing the rails I found one of the large washers for the clamps was missing. I then had to go back into the first box to retrieve a washer. Then it was time for the cover to drop in. When installing it I noticed dozens of little aluminum shards all over the cover. Many of which had worked their way into the rubber hinges of the cover. I spent 30 minutes trying to pull all the shards out carefully so as not to damage the rubber hinges which also seal the cover from water leaking in. Talk about poor quality control!

At the end of the install I had 3 extra pieces of weather stripping. I called Bak Industries and they said it is for the parts of the cover that touch the truck bed when propped up. Again, insufficient directions. So much time could of been saved with better directions. Hell, it has been a pain from start until now. I'm still waiting for FedEx to call me back so they can assess the first damaged box so they can pay for return shipping to Summit. If they don't award me free shipping I imagine it will cost me $100 to send this big old box back for my refund. Until then there are $789 pending refund.

Besides it appearing like Ray Charles did quality control and boxing the cover is actually very nice. They could of supplied a tailgate seal. There are obvious gaps that water can get into. I'll have to buy my own tailgate seal kit to address this issue. As long as the rubber hinges don't get chewed up from the metal shards I suspect it will give me a few years of good use. Not exactly $800 worth of quality here, nor the $100 more to get an honored 1 year warranty. How hard is it to print good directions, clean the product, include an $18 tailgate seal and package it? Instead I am pending a refund almost a week later and a 30 min job took 2 hours to do.

Quick Reply: Poor BakFlip G2 Experience