Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for A camper shell

Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for A camper shell

I am looking for a fiberglass camper shell for my 02 f150. Is there a brand that is better than another? and when looking at them what should I look at besides the seals, glass and cracks in the fiberglass? thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had good luck with my Leer (see in my sig). Things to check include what you mentioned and the operation and fit of the doors and windows.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Alright. Hopefully ill be getting a new job this coming week and I will be looking for one very soon.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:07 PM
oh and how much would it cost to get one repainted if needed?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
If buying a new shell and your truck has the factory color, you shouldn't need to repaint.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Im looking for a used one I cant really afford a new one right now since IM in college and this will just be for camping and what not.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I would be curious also which brand people recommend. I was planning on buying a new Leer for my 2012 Supercrew, but I have seen reviews where people either love them or claim they are junk and never fit. So now I am in a holding pattern and can't decide whether to get the Leer or look into a Century or ARE...

As far as used goes, I bought an Astro cap (no longer in business) for my '01 Supercrew a long time ago and had a body shop pant it to match. I think they charged me between 200 and 300 bucks. They pulled the gas cap door off and the match was perfect. Maybe 7 or 8 years down the road, I developed a leak at the rubber grommet where the third brake light wires enter through the roof. I removed the spoiler and light, replaced the LED light which was burning out, siliconed the holes and re-installed the spoiler. Leak was gone. My only other problem was that the locks in the t-handles seized up because I never used the key in the locks.

I would say look at the fit, make sure all the windows slide freely (to insure the whole cap isn't warped), and just check the overall condition of the fiberglass. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by a2pfunk
I would be curious also which brand people recommend. I was planning on buying a new Leer for my 2012 Supercrew, but I have seen reviews where people either love them or claim they are junk and never fit. So now I am in a holding pattern and can't decide whether to get the Leer or look into a Century or ARE...

As far as used goes, I bought an Astro cap (no longer in business) for my '01 Supercrew a long time ago and had a body shop pant it to match. I think they charged me between 200 and 300 bucks. They pulled the gas cap door off and the match was perfect. Maybe 7 or 8 years down the road, I developed a leak at the rubber grommet where the third brake light wires enter through the roof. I removed the spoiler and light, replaced the LED light which was burning out, siliconed the holes and re-installed the spoiler. Leak was gone. My only other problem was that the locks in the t-handles seized up because I never used the key in the locks.

I would say look at the fit, make sure all the windows slide freely (to insure the whole cap isn't warped), and just check the overall condition of the fiberglass. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm going to look at one tomorrow. Hopefully it will. Fit and ill have it by next week..

Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/3208949486.html
Here is the link to one I found. Tell me what yall think and if its a good price

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
A couple things to check, seals on underside, lift struts on rear window, any cracks or holes, glass, weatherstripping and lighting. Used will not be perfect, so expect a couple scratches, chips and finish imperfections (not a huge deal if your repainting). Nice to have keys for the rear lock, but if they don't have you can buy new keys online cheap. T-handles are pretty inexpensive as well.
That said, 300.00 seems pretty much on par with prices in my area for an older fiberglass cap. I've bought two used caps on CL the past 6 years, and is much cheaper than new as you've probably found out. I always shoot for at least 10% off asking as a rule unless I really like the item for sale, and try to figure on what you could sell it for if it was yours. Hope this helps - good luck.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by wolverine08
A couple things to check, seals on underside, lift struts on rear window, any cracks or holes, glass, weatherstripping and lighting. Used will not be perfect, so expect a couple scratches, chips and finish imperfections (not a huge deal if your repainting). Nice to have keys for the rear lock, but if they don't have you can buy new keys online cheap. T-handles are pretty inexpensive as well.
That said, 300.00 seems pretty much on par with prices in my area for an older fiberglass cap. I've bought two used caps on CL the past 6 years, and is much cheaper than new as you've probably found out. I always shoot for at least 10% off asking as a rule unless I really like the item for sale, and try to figure on what you could sell it for if it was yours. Hope this helps - good luck.
Yes it does. As the add said it didnt fit his truck so I'm sure it will be in decent shape so I'm.sure he wants to get rid of it ASAP so I was gonna see if I.could get it abit cheaper.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by 02FORD4X4
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/3208949486.html
Here is the link to one I found. Tell me what yall think and if its a good price
That one is made to fit a Chevrolet. Ours have the same width front and back and the Chevrolet is narrower in the back. Also the Chevrolet has a different cab angle on the back glass so it will have a gap at the top. And they have a more square cab shape so there is no "wrap around" the cab on that one or the "spurs" at the lower front corners that makes out trucks look so good with a correctly fitted shell on them.
It may suit your needs, but it won't look right, the gap at the top next to the window and the sides narrower in back will bug you the more you look at it if you are picky at all about how your truck looks. If not, go for it.
From my experience, $300 is a typical asking price if it is in great shape.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
That one is made to fit a Chevrolet. Ours have the same width front and back and the Chevrolet is narrower in the back. Also the Chevrolet has a different cab angle on the back glass so it will have a gap at the top. And they have a more square cab shape so there is no "wrap around" the cab on that one or the "spurs" at the lower front corners that makes out trucks look so good with a correctly fitted shell on them.
It may suit your needs, but it won't look right, the gap at the top next to the window and the sides narrower in back will bug you the more you look at it if you are picky at all about how your truck looks. If not, go for it.
From my experience, $300 is a typical asking price if it is in great shape.
I checked and my bed is narrower in the back like that shell. Idk i think im just going to keep looking and saving.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
oh and if you read the description it said it doesnt fit a chevy.... and the shape of the front is different than one on a chevy

Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I checked and my bed is narrower in the back like that shell. Idk i think im just going to keep looking and saving.
If the bed on your 2002 F150 is narrower at the back than the front, it is either damaged or you measured it wrong. Since 2002 is mentioned 3 times in all your posts, and you specifically said:
I am looking for a fiberglass camper shell for my 02 f150.
That is the truck everyone will think you are talking about, versus later model Fords that actually do share a similar box dimension to this cap.
[/QUOTE]
oh and if you read the description it said it doesnt fit a chevy.... and the shape of the front is different than one on a chevy
It doesn't say anything at all about a Chevrolet.
Originally Posted by Craigslist ad
Topper for short bed - $300 (McKinney)
Date: 2012-08-16, 5:57AM CDT
kqkds-3208949486@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
I have a fiberglass camper for sale. I believe it fits on a ford f150. Does not fit my dodge like they said when I bought it. All glass is in great shape and over all is in very good condition. I will have pics and dimensions tomorrow. Email me and ask questions or set up a time to come and look. I'm needing a camper that fits 07 dodge and will trade if this one fits your vehicle.

Dimensions 71 wide at front 81 long 69 wide at the tail gate

image 1

image 2

image 3

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 3208949486

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for A camper shell