Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Bed Rug before trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Bed Rug before trade in?

I may trade trucks soon...'04 Screw for an '08 Screw. Both have 5.5 foot beds...dealer says my '04 bedrug adds no value to the trade in, so I'm thinking of removing it before the trade, and reinstalling in the new truck. Anybody tried a bed rug removal? I'm worried about removing the velcro tape strips from the bed of the truck. Would it be worth the trouble? New BRs are $400+.

Thanks,
CW

Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The Bedrug may not add value, but I bet if you messup the apoint removing the velcro, it will deduct value. Would not be worth the risk to me.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
The Bedrug may not add value, but I bet if you messup the apoint removing the velcro, it will deduct value. Would not be worth the risk to me.
A truck bed with some signs of use ("normal" dents and/or scratches, not a huge hole in the bed or something like that) does not affect the value at trade in.

If you plan on using/selling any accesorries on the truck, strip them off the truck. Hell, if I had a new set of tires on there and a worn (but still "usuable") set in the garage, I'd swap those out too.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it fits your next truck, It might be worth the effort.

I don't know for sure.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CWCobra
I may trade trucks soon...'04 Screw for an '08 Screw. Both have 5.5 foot beds...dealer says my '04 bedrug adds no value to the trade in, so I'm thinking of removing it before the trade, and reinstalling in the new truck. Anybody tried a bed rug removal? I'm worried about removing the velcro tape strips from the bed of the truck. Would it be worth the trouble? New BRs are $400+.

Thanks,
CW
you can get the bedrug replacement velcro kits from bedrug or a dealer...take it out if it fits and is in good shape....just my two cents but i love my bedrug

Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 PM
It's freaking velcro. $4 will get you like 20 feet of it from Walmart. Take the Bed Rug out and get new velcro for the new truck.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
It's freaking velcro. $4 will get you like 20 feet of it from Walmart. Take the Bed Rug out and get new velcro for the new truck.
I think it's more than just regular velcro, it's "heavy duty" type hook and loop, but I don't think it's hard to find.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by TRITON_2002
I think it's more than just regular velcro, it's "heavy duty" type hook and loop, but I don't think it's hard to find.
Still available at Walmart. Made by 3M.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM
velcro is velcro as long as buy good stuff, like 3M. i wouldn't buy some cheap dollar store crap and expect it to work like 3M. AS far as the bed rug, pull it out! if it fits your new truck great, if not put it on ebay. the $200 you might get on ebay is more than you get from the dealer ( $0) if you leave it in the truck.

just my .02

Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Take it out, and leave the velcro on the bed for the guys in clean-up to deal with, they are charging you for a detail and cleanup anyway so let them earn it. And the Bedrug will fit the 08 no problem.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd take it out for sure...no need to give them anything extra, I guarantee it didn't help your trade in value as far as the dealership is concerned.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM
And if you want to remove the velcro, try Goof Off

I completely agree that you should move the bed rug to your new truck. Dealers won't give you a dime for your accessories unless it's a higher end performance mod (and the used car guy is honest and doesn't try to give you the "you modified the car" speech to cheat you out of a $5K part). I had one try to tell me a removable $1K tonneau hardcover would decrease value. Give me a break!

If you want to be A.R. about it and remove the velcro, Goof Off "eats" the glue. I've used it to remove pine tar, pinstripes, dealer stickers, window stickers, Velcro strips (not sure about 3M specifically). In other words, it's good stuff. Lowe's or Home Depot have it...

Just watch out for the fumes as you'll be seeing "flying purple elephants with Elvis in the saddle" quickly if you work in a confined area with the stuff for too long (don't ask me how I know this). In other words, Goof-Off doesn't requires a ventilator mask, but for a "consumer grade" solvent, it's pretty powerful stuff.

Last edited by 1hhead; 12-15-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Remove Bed Rug before trade in?