Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Remove 5.4L Starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin TX
Where is the negative cable (coming from battery) supposed to be connected at the starter?

Well, the starter bolt anyway, -

That's correct, -directly to the bottom starter double bolt on your 98. Which is an engine ground, main ground (battery), 4 awg cable. The starter case is the ground for the starter itself.

From there it doubles back to the frame w/10 awg behind the passenger side tire.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by f-150online
Hi im new to this site i wish i checked online before i tried to change this starter. but i was able to get the Top bolt off with a 1/4 -13mm socket, 1/4 -3"or small extension,1/4 ratchet and it worked on my 04 5.4 lariat.
There's only one way that works, - fast anyway. Laying directly under with your left you can find the hole or head. There's a small pocket you get your hand up and around. Otherwise, you'll play hell trying to get to it lol.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had just completed doing this job last night and wish i found this thread earlier no one is lying about that too bolt it is truly a PITA lol it took me 6 hours hours to change this starter pretty much cause i didt have the proper tools for that top bolt. Whats worse is you cant really get any wd40 on on the rusted bolts to help loosen them either.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This posting was a huge help (especially for the top bolt). After checking with the local university, after changing an F150 starter, one qualifies for an honorary doctorate in gynecology.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM
First off, Watson91 thank you. Without this info i would not have been able to do this job myself. I ran into a jam and needed my truck today. I got it fixed and I am good to go.

That being said, if you can pay to have this done - do it. The job is miserable.

Ryan

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice article! Now how about following it up with one about how to repair the starter. :-)

Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 PM
I just spent around 3 hours trying to remove the top bolt...........ended up stripping the bolt completely, should have just taken it in to the shop but I had to try. Now its frustration and probably more expense. Main mistake was using 1/2 instead of the 13MM to start with. I did not realize it was 13MM until I started reading post on this forum.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 PM
how to replace starter solenoid on a 2001 f150 5.5l triton v8

Originally Posted by Concept81
Boy, I coulda used this last week when I had to do my 1999's! But honestly it wasn't too hard to figure out. Like you said, that top bolt is a total PITA and I cannot see it being possible without taking the wheel off for access.

Nice write up and pics!
It's not something one can learn, more like a lifestyle haha. Never 're moved the tire or lifted it using a Jack of any kind. Lol I can actually do under the wheel well and sit up almost upright andlast back and do the whole thing in like 30minutes. Stay awesome everyone. ( you gotta hear hire I do fuel pumps without rejoicing any gas. Even a full tank take out easy everyone

Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 PM
"hear me now and listen to me lata !"

Thank You Watson91

http://www.screen-fx.net/upload/ExtensionSetup.jpg

I just took this project on this morning and know that I would have given up had I not found this post !

The project still took me 3 hours (on my back) as I only have a 3/8" u-joint and a broken 1/2" u-joint ( UJ ) and therefor did not have the prescribed UJ-Extension combination. Much more important than one could ever imagine !!!

Here is why.... ( I know this because I have perfect 20/20 vision!)

The Magical combination of the...
3/8" Socket + 3/8"-1/2" adapter + 1/2" UJ
sets the perfect distance from the bolt/socket to the pivot of the UJ. Any distance in this area that is shorter or longer will cause a conflict in the path of the extensions, causing them to hit the exhaust manifold or frame.... So now...either the socket pops off the bolt head or the UJ binds up..... Sucky

http://www.screen-fx.net/upload/ExtensionSetup.jpg

So.... "HEAR ME NOW AND LISTEN TO ME LATTA" Go out and buy a 1/2" universal-Joint before you start this project and do it the way that Watson91 says

... or buy a bottle of Ibuprofen and a bag if ice for your back!

Peace !

Last edited by Johnnyd943; 04-11-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The past few years I've had slow cranking at times despite a massive new battery. It was intermittent and seeing many of our generation truck have starter failures, I figured I'll give it a go. Some of the diesel techs at work agreed the starter could cause this. So I picked up a brand new one from partsgeek.com a few weeks back (pure energy brand - decent reviews on the brand from google searching) and installed it today.

What a nightmare that top bolt is. Including an emergency trip to home depot, cursing sessions, wizz breaks and a desperately needed food break, it took 5 hours. Tough job. I left the top bolt off. No way I'm putting that back on. I have seen many people with modular motors leave it off with no issues. I do have a removal tip. Get all the bolts loose then rock the starter and you can turn the top bolt easily by hand. The bottom two weren't bad at all. In summary, great writeup and I knew I would eventually use it back when Watson posted it. Truck starts very quick now and hopefully it continues. I'm going to have the OEM Visteon one rebuilt by the auto electrical rebuilder in town to have as a spare.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:01 AM
Starter removal top bolt

Im pulling the 4.6l engine in my 07 f150 and the starter top bolt is one pita!
if anyone wants to make the job simple as possible when accessing it from underneath u need a full length of 7.5" from start of the socket to the end of the ratchet, it needs to be exact to get full swing. to get this length i used a long handle 3/8 ratchet, 6" 3/8 extension, 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and a 1/4 13mm socket(12 point), deep socket is too long and using a 3/8 13mm socket without the extra 1/2" the 1/4 adapter gives you and you come up too short.
the long handle ratchet gives you the reach to find the bolt and it gives you the leverage to break loose a stubborn bolt.
pic attached.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Oh yes, I had my 2008 FX4 5.4 exhaust repaired under warranty a few years ago.

I am replacing my starter now and it took forever to get a socket on the top bolt. Took over a day and finally I got a mirror on the bolt. Guess what? No bolt!

The idiot who repaired the exhaust either forgot , unlikely, or was too lazy to put the top bolt back in, More than likely.

So of course it's the weekend and the Ford dealer is closed and I'm 1 bolt short. I managed to get a bolt at Auto Zone.

Boy, this is the 3rd time that FORD has screwed me on warranty repairs.

Different dealers, same type of mechanics or bosses that tell the mechanics to hurry up, especially on a warranty job.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 PM
2007 F150 starter - bolt from hell fix

I just spent 2 days trying to get that damn bolt back in. Here’s how I got it in.
Before you even install the starter, put thick grease in the hole where that bolt goes in. Then stick the bolt in flush so that when you gently put the starter in position, you can then tighten down the other two bolts half way. You can now tighten that nasty 3rd bolt, all the way, and finish tightening the other two bolts completely.
​​​​​​​This worked for me. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How-To: Remove 5.4L Starter