Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

'99 F-150 Headlight Switch Mod

Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTruckGuy
Does anyone know how to splice wires? can you walk me through it or post pictures for assistance??
Here's one way to do it ... How to use quick splice connectors

Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i just cut the 2 wires/spin them together on each end and then spin them back together and wrap in electrical tape? would that work? anyone done this?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 AM

That's what I've always done for most of my stereo wiring. Works just as good imo.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 AM

ok il do that. thanks.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to splice, used one of those blue pin connectors. The one where you push on the top, and the blade comes down. Normally I use butt conectors...

Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM

o i forgot about butt connectors.
I just did it and used butt connectors. worked great. Got my fogs with everything now and i love it!! Thanks alot guys.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
How did you glue your switch back together??

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM

where the tabs you cut off where...get some superglue or gorilla glue and a toothpik and dip it in the hole where the tab was and then on the outside of the holes with the glue.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Can you post pictures of how you did it?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM

the white ***** are where the tabs were and i just put a blob of glue and then you can see i glued any of the cracks i could see between the box and faceplate

Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by fairlaner
I never considered the effects of the mod on vehicles w/ alarms/remote locks (I've never owned a vehicle w/ either). I'm sure there's some sort of electrical solution for this problem (possible a diode ... I pretty weak on electrical). Ask over in the Electrical Forum, someone over there can probably help you out. If you get a solution, could you post a link to it in this How-To thread?
Better Yet, I will show you how I have mine set up.

It is a 2 relay system but it works, The only thing not working like I would like is when the key is off and I turn on the fog Lights the Fog indicator lights up even though the lights themselves are off, However, when I turn the key on it the foglights come on like i would like, and the best part, They don't flash with the alarm. I will get a pic (Diagram) up when Imageshack wants to co-operate.

Relay 1 (R1):
P85 - Brown Parking Light wire from headlight switch
P86 - Yellow Fog Lamp Ground at Fog Light Switch
P87 - To Fog Lights
P30 - To R2P87

Relay 2 (R2)
P85 - To Fuse 5 in Cab Fuse Panel
P86 - To Ground
P87 - To R1P30
P30 - +12v Fused (15A) at battery

Now I just need to figure out how to get the Fog Light indicator light to not come on when the lights themselves are off. and do the mod so that the switch can be pulled out in the parking light position.

Here is the Picture/Diagram of how I have mine hooked up.

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 02-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
What have you guys used to cut out the ramp in your lightswitch? I don't have a dremel and i was wondering what else has been used and what is the easiest way without the dremel. would a variable speen drill with some grinding stones work or would that be too difficult to get the right angle for the ramp and such???

Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
hey guys, love the sight! this is my first post on this particular forum so hopefully i dont stir up too much trouble.lol. i have a question about this mod. i have seen several different write ups on doing this, and from what i can tell, they are all the same, modify the switch and jump the two wires together. every other one that i have seen stated that all the mod did was make the fogs work in park, but they still did not work with the brights. am i missing something here? why does it work for you? i am gonna do this mod in a couple of weeks, and i would love the same results for my truck where the brights and fogs work together. Thank you for any insight you may have on this.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
also, i have a remote lock on my 97 and when the lights flash, everything but the fogs flash. if i understand correctly, doing this mod will cause the fogs to flash too. is this an actuall problem, or is it something that you just dont care for? because i dont care either way if they flash, unless it will do some damage.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by fordf150farmer
hey guys, love the sight! this is my first post on this particular forum so hopefully i dont stir up too much trouble.lol. i have a question about this mod. i have seen several different write ups on doing this, and from what i can tell, they are all the same, modify the switch and jump the two wires together. every other one that i have seen stated that all the mod did was make the fogs work in park, but they still did not work with the brights. am i missing something here? why does it work for you? i am gonna do this mod in a couple of weeks, and i would love the same results for my truck where the brights and fogs work together. Thank you for any insight you may have on this.
Originally Posted by fordf150farmer
also, i have a remote lock on my 97 and when the lights flash, everything but the fogs flash. if i understand correctly, doing this mod will cause the fogs to flash too. is this an actuall problem, or is it something that you just dont care for? because i dont care either way if they flash, unless it will do some damage.
This is basically what I was going through. When i jumped the wire (brown parking light wire and Black/White ground wire) it made my headlights flash when I armed my alarm because that ground works everything not just fogs,So it provided power to my headlights in order for them to flash. By jumping the two wires you ar providing power in the parking position while the switch is pulled out so at the same time it is also providing power while the brights are on because the parking lights are on too.

That is why I had to do the 2 relay thing I posted above. With this, I get power to the control relay only when the key is in the "Run" position this way no power is getting to them when the alarm flashes the lights.

as for "is all the lights flashing a problem" depends on the person and situatiion, I have HIDs in all 4 of my lights and the quick on/off of the flash (i'm told) reduces the life of the balasts of the HIDs so yes, It would be a problem, As for those of us still using halogen bulbs I don't think it would be a problem just maybe a nusence that would annoy you.

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 02-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 F-150 Headlight Switch Mod