Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Clean MAF-2005 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by fine_style150
just did both took out my k&n and put in a motorcraft drop in, and cleaned my MAF....it running alot smotther and idle is way better now, trucks still under warranty and honestly, i didnt notice any diffrence with the K&n drop in
I have run a K&N dropin since the truck was new, 93,000 miles. If it helps performance in any way, it is very slight. I just enjoy cleaning it as part of my maintenance and it has saved a lot of money for replacement filters.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have run a K&N dropin since the truck was new, 93,000 miles. If it helps performance in any way, it is very slight. I just enjoy cleaning it as part of my maintenance and it has saved a lot of money for replacement filters.
Whats the procedure to clean the drop in K&N?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did this on my 97 with the 4.6. A little differant set up. It took a T-20 Security Bit. Thanks to Harbor Freight Tools I had the correct bit in my tool box. I also sprayed the cleaner on the intake temp sensor (at least I guess thats what it was) a little bulb like thing in the air intake tube.

Thanks for the write up.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Spooner65
Whats the procedure to clean the drop in K&N?
K&N sells a Recharge kit at the parts stores. Has a spray cleaner(soap) and spray oil. You spray the filter good with the cleaner then wash it off with a hose. let it dry a bit, then very lightly(lightly is the key!)spray it with the oil. Sort of like you do a first coat with a can of spray paint. Let that dry a bit, then reinstall. Very simple, but, if you over oil, it will foul out the MAF.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 PM
I bought the actual MAF cleaner from crc and cleaned it well and i still have this very light rough idle and im at 38,600 so i might do plugs at 40k and we'll see. Thanks bluejay for the write up.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have run a K&N dropin since the truck was new, 93,000 miles. If it helps performance in any way, it is very slight. I just enjoy cleaning it as part of my maintenance and it has saved a lot of money for replacement filters.
yup that wut i plan on doing but for now ill stick with the OG material then go back to the K&N, i dont want to see myself spending and spending on filters

Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
The sensor

BlueJay,
Good stuff in this tech article. Wanted to know if the orientation of the sensor is critical on reinstall...Should the main opening be into the airstream or on the downstream/eddy side of it?
I removed the MAF from a K&N setup to return the truck to stock for trade-in. It's been four years since I installed the hi-flow filter set-up and I don't remember how it was factory installed. Assuming the clip tang on the sensor and the corresponding red, sliding tab on the wiring harness are oriented on top, I have it right.
I am experiencing idle problems and am trying to work them out. The motor dies after returning to idle, during braking from any speed or when idling for longer than one minute.
I have 92,000 miles and original plugs, clean air filter, and just reprogrammed the ECM to Factory settings, after uninstalling a Hypertech program. After the reprogram, I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and dump any trouble codes that may have been lurking. The engine was demonstrating idle problems before I reprogrammed the ECM. The truck is now completely stock, to include the 195 degree thermostat.
Is cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner spray recommended? I also plan to dump Sea-Foam or an injector cleaner into my next fiill-up. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Tomcat 2004 5.4L Auto 4x4 XL trim

Last edited by tomcatter31313; 11-02-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Vehicle description
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Suspended
Do you spray the inside and/or the outside?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
cleaned my maf, just ran a diagnostics with my edge, and my two lean codes arent coming up anymore, hey thanx alot for this write up great job and it helped me out on a fix... i love this site.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by screwyou
Do you spray the inside and/or the outside?
YOu spray down thru the opening where the wires are. Essentially, you are washing the wire sensors.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by stevenminix
cleaned my maf, just ran a diagnostics with my edge, and my two lean codes arent coming up anymore, hey thanx alot for this write up great job and it helped me out on a fix... i love this site.
Glad it solved your problem! I have been helped so much by this site, so it's very rewarding to give back a little.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Bluejay I see this has been asked before I just want to double check, you spray the cleaner into the little square that has the thin sensors in it ? Spray it enough that the cleaner liquid runs every where thats ok no danger in getting everything wet with the spray liquid ?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Bigmoss
Bluejay I see this has been asked before I just want to double check, you spray the cleaner into the little square that has the thin sensors in it ? Spray it enough that the cleaner liquid runs every where thats ok no danger in getting everything wet with the spray liquid ?
That is correct. You spray it till it is dripping. I repeat that a couple of times to make sure I got it good. The electrical cleaner drys clean, no residue.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
What you want to do is clean the filter first (K&N) run it a week and let the excess oil blow through THEN clean the MAS. Also where the electrical connection for the MAS is you want to put Dielectric grease there to insure a positive and moisture proof connection.
Also pay attention to the fuel filter. Once you pull one and dump the fuel out and see all the crud that comes out, you'll see why 12 K is what to do.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
can you use anything else? like air intake cleaner or something like that that I might have laying around the shop or should I go buy that stuff specifically???

Quick Reply: How to Clean MAF-2005 5.4