Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Paint your OEM wheels: Step by step w/pics (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck looks awesome.....did you peel the decals or just paint them as well....

Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! I had peeled them off. Just ordered and received my new ones (and inlays) the other day. Put them on when I visited my mother for Christmas.......

Name:  DSC01203.jpg
Views: 7162
Size:  96.3 KB
Name:  DSC01210.jpg
Views: 6707
Size:  87.4 KB

Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM
so how much was all the materials that YOU bought? and about how long did it take you your truck looks damn good man... damn good

would you think it would work for mine?? i kinda just did microsoft paint here...

Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cmolina07
so how much was all the materials that YOU bought? and about how long did it take you your truck looks damn good man... damn good

would you think it would work for mine?? i kinda just did microsoft paint here...
Nice screw....that's something I wish I had was all four doors.

Cost for me:
-Duplicolor wheel paint: $24.00 (Excess)
-Duplicolor clear coat: $24.00 (Excess)
-Self-etching primer: $2.50 (Had one laying around from painting badges)
-Spray can gun: $2.00
-Degreaser: $0.00 (Borrowed a small bottle of Simple Green from work)
-Towel: $0.00 (Any old towel)
-Brillo pads: $0.00 (Roommate had some in the kitchen)
-Spray bottle: $1.00
-400 grit sandpaper: $3.00
-Sanding block: $5.00
-Masking tape: $2.00
-Index cards: $0.00 (Had some laying around)
-Newspaper

Total for me: $63.50 and about four hours of my time.

It was about two hours prep time (cleaning the wheels, scrubbing them with brillo pads, sanding, recleaning, etc) and two hours of painting/clearing. I could have saved $24.00 and only used two cans each of the paint and clear but I wanted to be sure I had enough. I think three would be plenty and you'd have some leftover.

As for if it would look good on yours, let me ask you a few questions:
-Your tails are tinted, correct?
-Headlights black?
-Are you planning on getting your bumpers PTM?
-Ever buying after market wheels?
-What look are you going for? (What I mean is, several of us on here are going for the blackout look. Some like it, some don't, but it looks very unique. You don't see too many blacked out trucks on the road. I've gotten a lot more compliments on the truck now that it stands out more. )

I think it looks good as is with your bumpers chrome. However, if you are going to ptm your bumpers I think they would look better black. I'd recommend, though, not putting on as many coats of clear as I did. These old tires make the combo look weird because the wheels are so shiny. As seen here

Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
doesnt seem like a bad price... i actually did the DIY black headlights like a year ago so this is somewhat similar to that so i kinda know what to do for that but my issue is would it come out looking bad..???

Yeah i have tintied tails, 3rd brake,windows, black heads just not black bumpers i wanna go for the blackout look but money doesnt put it in my favor so i dont think i would paint em unless somehow got lucky

i recently aquired a free pair of chrome stepbars which are not in the pic so it adds a lil more chrome to the piece :/

yours came out looking professional to say the least

Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by cmolina07
doesnt seem like a bad price... i actually did the DIY black headlights like a year ago so this is somewhat similar to that so i kinda know what to do for that but my issue is would it come out looking bad..???

Yeah i have tintied tails, 3rd brake,windows, black heads just not black bumpers i wanna go for the blackout look but money doesnt put it in my favor so i dont think i would paint em unless somehow got lucky

i recently aquired a free pair of chrome stepbars which are not in the pic so it adds a lil more chrome to the piece :/

yours came out looking professional to say the least

Thanks, man, I appreciate the compliment. It's definitely not hard at all. In all honesty I think yours would look good either way. For now, though, since yours bumpers are chrome and you have chrome steps I think they look best left as is. If you get your bumpers painted then go for it!

edit-Just took a closer look at your sig...definitely looks great right now. They flow well with your bumpers.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up but, no way in hello-dolly that I'd do it with the wheels on the truck... all that overspray on the paint... *cringes*.... Going to copy this one down to the How-To... THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Would this work for chromed wheels?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
awesome write-up. are you gonna do one for the flares because mine are fading to a light gray and looking bad so I wanna paint them black..just dont know where to start

Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Man this is great, gonna do this asap.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, it's been an extremely busy summer for me.

Originally Posted by thejake1989
Would this work for chromed wheels?
I think it would but it would be harder to scuff up the chrome enough. From reading what others have said the paint won't stick to chrome as easy. IMO you'd be better off getting them powdercoated.

Originally Posted by triton5.4FX4
awesome write-up. are you gonna do one for the flares because mine are fading to a light gray and looking bad so I wanna paint them black..just dont know where to start
Actually someone did one for the flares not too long ago. I'm currently looking into buying aftermarket flares because I did a crappy paintjob on mine. Not to mention I don't like the factory texture on the FX4 flares. Would much rather have a smooth texture.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ap...ject-pics.html

Originally Posted by SupremeMX
Man this is great, gonna do this asap.
Glad to help!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, it's been an extremely busy summer for me.

I think it would but it would be harder to scuff up the chrome enough. From reading what others have said the paint won't stick to chrome as easy. IMO you'd be better off getting them powdercoated.

Actually someone did one for the flares not too long ago. I'm currently looking into buying aftermarket flares because I did a crappy paintjob on mine. Not to mention I don't like the factory texture on the FX4 flares. Would much rather have a smooth texture.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ap...ject-pics.html

Glad to help!
thanks for the link.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job... Very informative... The pictures really help...

Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Did this about 3 weeks ago...EXTREMELY happy with the results. I sat on the idea for 2 weeks or so but then said screw it and went for it. I love them Anyone thinking about doing this. DO IT

Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Good work on the DIY thread. Duplicolor paint works well, I used it for years.

Quick Reply: Paint your OEM wheels: Step by step w/pics (56k warning)