Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Autospring install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be VERY carefull putting a pair of pliers or the likes on the ball joint as shown in step #4.
You don't want to damage that area of the ball joint.
I took the nut all the way off and then screwed it back on by hand until you get the ball joint loose.
By hand tightening olny, the ball joint won't spin when you remove the nut.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Felt this needed a good bump!!! I forgot to save it when I read it first...

Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

Just put my lift on tonight. I have a question. For those of you with the 2.5 Auto Spring did you notice that after you got it back together and still had it on jack stands that the top A Arm would sag down and touch your spring?

This is with the wheel still off and with it still on jack stands.

After I let it down it wasnt touching at all and I took it on some really rough roads and hills to make sure nothing was binding, i think it must just be the way it hangs when its on stands?

Old 02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
mj8
Originally Posted by coakley
Hey guys,

Just put my lift on tonight. I have a question. For those of you with the 2.5 Auto Spring did you notice that after you got it back together and still had it on jack stands that the top A Arm would sag down and touch your spring?

This is with the wheel still off and with it still on jack stands.

After I let it down it wasnt touching at all and I took it on some really rough roads and hills to make sure nothing was binding, i think it must just be the way it hangs when its on stands?
bump for ya

Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM
BTT. Great writeup!!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Great write up Aaron , and the truck looks awesome As soon as my truck arrives I'm gonna get the Auotspring 2 1/2 and gitrdone

Old 04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Besides this post needing a bump I have a question. Just finished the drivers side. Once everything was back together I noticed the upper control arm hanging real low and just about hitting the spring. Is this normal on a 2" install? Back out to do the passenger side which should be a bit easier.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I noticed the same thing when i finished the install, but haven't had any issues. I wouldn't worry about it hitting.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks tanman and big thanks again for aaron for the great write up.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Aaron,
Used your instructions to a point except the torsion bar links weren't coming off any time soon(NY winters). I found it faster and easier to put the truck on stands and seperate the left and right upper ball joints together and the lower "A" frames drop down together and the hub moves out of the way and gives you more room with less disassembly. I had it done in 1.5 hours on my 4X2. Thanks for the guide.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Aaron j

Thanks for the write up got it off AS web site the pictures helped a bunch to be able to look as you go . Got it installed and really like how it turned out again thakns to people like you that can help the rest of us out on these installs on modes for our trucks . Thats how I found this site and do enjoy it all the time Thanks again

Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
I have posted this befor but never really got an answer I have the AS 2.5 and my front is still about .5inch lower. I just got the bilstein adj. 5100 shocks and my plan was to put the shocks on the plus 1 inch up setting and then getting a 2inch AS for a total lift of 3 inchs just like the king and skyjacker. Also with this set up i hope to get rid of the UCA hitting the spring. Does this sound like a dumb Idea or not? would it work

Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by extremeethan
I have posted this befor but never really got an answer I have the AS 2.5 and my front is still about .5inch lower. I just got the bilstein adj. 5100 shocks and my plan was to put the shocks on the plus 1 inch up setting and then getting a 2inch AS for a total lift of 3 inchs just like the king and skyjacker. Also with this set up i hope to get rid of the UCA hitting the spring. Does this sound like a dumb Idea or not? would it work
Sounds like you should just get the Skyjacker 3" kit.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I hear nothing good about their springs, all too soft and eveything I have read on their shocks, everyone is looking to get different ones everyone says skyjacker shocks suck. A few people have given that kit a good review but I dont like changing out my springs yet not tell I get my full lift. Also how could you pass up 200$ for bilstein 5100 front and rear?? Is my idea givin my reasoning dumb?

Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by gmb87
Aaron,
Used your instructions to a point except the torsion bar links weren't coming off any time soon(NY winters). I found it faster and easier to put the truck on stands and seperate the left and right upper ball joints together and the lower "A" frames drop down together and the hub moves out of the way and gives you more room with less disassembly. I had it done in 1.5 hours on my 4X2. Thanks for the guide.

I may try this method soon.

After a lot of consideration I have decided to get rid of the 2-1/2" spacers (which actually produced at least 3" of lift) and go with the 2" or even the 1-1/2" spacers.

The reason is because most of the time my truck looks like the front is higher than the rear and it is driving me up the wall. This is an optical illusion caused by the front wheel wells being cut out higher than the rears but it still bothers me.

When I do this I may try your procedure and take more pics.

Edit: My truck actually sits a bit higher in the front then the "after" pic in the op shows. Something must not have settled when I took that pic.

Quick Reply: Autospring install with photos