F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Articles & How-To's (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s-119/)
-   -   How-To: Change your cluster color on 97-03 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s/372987-how-change-your-cluster-color-97-03-a.html)

2000 F-150 B/G 12-09-2010 12:52 PM

do u still have the info from ebay i tried to look for my 2000 f150 xlt but could not find it

2000 F-150 B/G 12-09-2010 12:54 PM

and im not sure how you guys did the color change i don't want to change the light bulbs just the color of the cluster

Raptor05121 12-10-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2000 F-150 B/G (Post 4421232)
and im not sure how you guys did the color change i don't want to change the light bulbs just the color of the cluster

the light bulbs do change the cluster color. some use the white day-glow off ebay, others use tinted plastic

travisblues 01-05-2011 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the LED mod last night after reading through this whole thread. I didn't notice if anyone found a solution to fixing the hot spots?

I really like the color of the blue on my '98 XLT, doesn't look good with all the green though. I'm going to have to start replacing with LEDs all over in my interior, haha.

Attachment 31311

Raptor05121 01-05-2011 12:43 PM

There isn't a "fix" to the hotspots. That is the dysfunction of LEDs over incandescents. They glow in a true 360* orb of light while LEDs are directional light coverage

DragonWolf 01-12-2011 06:30 PM

I think I'd like to try this, but the way Dingus did. Would a gel (like used in stage lighting) work as a replacement to the green? Anyone? Or with colored led's, once the green is removed, I'm guessing if the white is replaced there would be no hot spots (that the white is actually some kind of diffuser to help spread out the light. Any ideas on what might be used to do this? It appears to be sprayed on originally, but there may be something out there to replace it with.

Ace_boy2099 01-13-2011 01:34 AM

How many people here have the 99+ models with the green tint? How did you guys get rid of it??
Did you remove the needles to get to the black plastic to remove the tint? or did you use some other kind of method?? If you removed the needles how did you re-apply them and how accurate are they now???
If you had to adjust them to get them accurate again, How did you go about doing that??
Does anyone know how to make the guages sweep? Would that fix any missaligning problems???
I have a scrap housing from a 00-ish probe or something (I'm not sure exactly what) that I have to play with for experimenting but I want to try and findout how you guys did it and how it turned out in the end.

Ace_boy2099 01-16-2011 12:30 PM

2 day Bump

TX03SuperCrew 01-31-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ace_boy2099 (Post 4458114)
How many people here have the 99+ models with the green tint? How did you guys get rid of it??
Did you remove the needles to get to the black plastic to remove the tint? or did you use some other kind of method?? If you removed the needles how did you re-apply them and how accurate are they now???
If you had to adjust them to get them accurate again, How did you go about doing that??
Does anyone know how to make the guages sweep? Would that fix any missaligning problems???
I have a scrap housing from a 00-ish probe or something (I'm not sure exactly what) that I have to play with for experimenting but I want to try and findout how you guys did it and how it turned out in the end.

I just completed this mod last week and the most tedious part by far was the removal of the green tint. I used a sponge with an abasive backing, fingernail polish with acetone, and A BUNCH OF Q-Tips. It took me a couple of hours (on and off) , but with elbow grease, I was able to remove the green.

I did remove the needles and now they need to be recalibrated. Comparing my speedo to an a speedo app I found on my phone, it appears that I am running 6 mph slower than what my speedo currently reads. Any tips to recalibrate my cluster are appreciated.

To make your gauges sweep, simply press and hold your odo rest button and turn your truck on (not the engine). Hold for 3 more seconds or so and release. Your odo will read "TEST" then "GAGE". Release the button and your gauges will sweep.

I still need to adjust my gauges because I didn't mark with a pencil where my gauges rested before removing them.

I hope this helps.

panda24619 02-09-2011 02:20 AM

so i am a complete idiot when it comes to finding leds for anything. does anyone have a link to ebay leds? i want to do this mod since one of my lights is out anyways. haha

Raptor05121 02-09-2011 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by panda24619 (Post 4491200)
so i am a complete idiot when it comes to finding leds for anything. does anyone have a link to ebay leds? i want to do this mod since one of my lights is out anyways. haha

I have links to four different reputable companies that carry the required LEDs in the first post. If you use the crappy LEDs on eBay, they will burn out on you in 2-3 months and you'll have to do it all over again (ask me how I know).

panda24619 02-09-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor05121 (Post 4491231)
I have links to four different reputable companies that carry the required LEDs in the first post. If you use the crappy LEDs on eBay, they will burn out on you in 2-3 months and you'll have to do it all over again (ask me how I know).

how do you know? haha what do you look for in a search box on the sites? i dont understand it for some reason. i guess i go a little more exspencive since its like a few $$ more.

jdt_ellinor 02-20-2011 05:30 PM

Anyone done a 01 ext cab with a tach?
If so wut bulbs did you use? the 37s?
And how many of em. And what style bulbs?

Raptor05121 02-21-2011 11:21 AM

99-03 trucks do not use the 37 type bulb. I believe someone said they have 6x 194s

Spencer2009 02-25-2011 12:34 AM

What size bulbs are needed for the dome and door lights? and how many do i need for them?

oh and the website for v-leds confuses me when i try to find the bulbs is there anyway you can link me to the correct bulbs?

Thanks in advance!