Installing New Painted Mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing New Painted Mirrors...

I bought a set of CAL-VU mirrors and have them about painted to match my truck. Just have to put the clear coat on tomorrow.

But, I would like someone who has just been through this little exercise to tell me how "easy" it is to take off the inside door panels to unbolt my existing mirrors and install the new ones.

Anyone? Thanks in advance for your help!!

BillVoyles
'99 Red Regular Cab Flareside with 4.6/Auto/3.08 Sleeper!!

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 11-26-2001 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its no problem at all, im always removing mine to put new speakers in it or tweets. anyways this is all u need. a phillip screw driver,standard screw driver and im not sure what u call the tool to remove the next piece. use the standard screw and place it right under the black cover of the window crank(if its an xl) and give a little twist to pop the black cover off the window crank. once uv done that, there is a screw in there but its has an octagon or hex not sure head on it. unscrew that to remove the window crank. okay. the long plastic panel going alond the rear of your window is seperated from the plastic door panel. these have to go before u remove the door panel. use your standard screw driver to gently pop it out of place. theyre just set in there by tension pop thingamajigs. u know u could use your fingers and get under the plastic and gently pull the small long panel off.(important when u pull u will notice that parts of that long panel tend to give a little. this is because those thingamagic clips i told u about earler arent close by. get your fingers or screw driver as close to those clips as possible and pull. Now that u have that long panel in rear of the window, u will noce a phillip screw holding down the door panel. remove that. now around your door handle, genltly pry that plastic mold surrounding off. there is one more phillip screw there to secure the door panel. remove it. now gently grap the door pannel and pull up.(PULL UP NOT DOWN) to remove the door panel. oh when it comes time to put the panel back on it helps if the door is locked, it makes it easier to aim the lock pin back in through the top of the door panel(you'll see what i mean)once the door panel is removed, just look at where the mirrors are. i think its 1/2' or 9/16, but use a ratchet and remove the factory ones. and replace them. hope this helps. it u have power mirrors, just unplug them one u get the panel off to give u more working room

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-26-2001, 11:26 AM
Thanks fordcruiser ....

That's what I like about this forum ... people are really good about helping the next guy out. I shouldn't have any problem at all now ... putting my new mirrors on. That's terrific!

Another thing I like is the lack of smart a$$ combacks and comments. Most of them are either comical or down right funny. It's just as easy to have a sense of humor as it is to be crass and crude.

Thanks again fordcruiser !!!

Bill

Old 11-26-2001, 05:58 PM
Don't you just have to remove the small cover inside, top of the door panel? I didn't think you had to remove the whole thing. On mine, there's a small cover that pops off directly opposite the mirror on the inside. Some ppl put tweeters there.

Old 11-27-2001, 10:07 AM
most likely depends on the year of the truck. i know for a fact that my truck i had to take the whole door panel off its a 99. i did the same for a bud of mine and he had a 99 xcab with power windows and i followed the same procedure.

Old 11-29-2001, 04:24 PM
Great Directions From fordcruiser....

I tried to follow the instructions that came from StreetSecne along with the mirrors... and even after installing the mirrors the instructions don't make any sense!! No Kidd'in.

But, the directions (above) from fordcruiser made the job seem simple. In fact, now I could remove and install a new set of mirrors on my truck in about 15 minutes flat. Nothing to it. fordcruiser should be writing the install instructions for StreetScenes.

Thanks again fordcruiser

BillVoyles

Old 11-30-2001, 10:48 AM
no problem. i went through that hell when i ordred installed my speakers. but i removed them once for the speakers, then to install some tweets, then to change out my speakers for components, then to add sound damping material,,,,i just got use to it. ive pretty much taken apart my entire interior to run amp power wire and speaker wires, and cd changer controls. at one time my entire interior was down to the bar metal so that i could tape down all the wires for my system install.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Color

Hi! I have been trying to find the color of your truck all over your forums. Can you tell me the name of the color?

Old 08-25-2018, 05:06 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Who are you talking to? This thread hasn't been posted to in 17 years.

Quick Reply: Installing New Painted Mirrors...