Paint or bedliner rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint or bedliner rockers

I've been toying this idea around for awhile now. Initially I was thinking black bedliner, but I had a bad experience with my ranger (would not stop peeling) and also black seems very prone to fading even if it says it has UV protection.

SO what about dark/gunmetal grey? (I think FX4's get this factory) Keep in mind this is going to be rather on a budget, and I do not intend on having the truck forever. Therefore, paint or bedliner is going to be DIY.

My main question being, leaning towards painting, would it be worth it to invest in a spray gun? Or just rattle can some good ol Krylon. Like would the difference in appearance make the gun worth it?

Secondly, I dont want to pin myself into a certain look. I want to have to option to go with black wheels, etc. As well as if I decide on more work truck look with some eagle alloys. Would that effect my decision on how dark to make it?

Heres a pic of my truck, and one I found on google. And just fyi some all terrain 285's are coming soon, I know it will effect the look a bit.

Name:  20140414_1449001_zps3da7f999.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Painting with a rattle can and getting it to look good is real difficult but possible, and it's real hard to correct if you mess up. How about Plasti-dip? It goes with black wheels, goes on easy and if you don't like it, you can peel it off. Or maybe a vinyl stripe in the color you're talking about. Again if you don't like it, you can remove it.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk
Painting with a rattle can and getting it to look good is real difficult but possible, and it's real hard to correct if you mess up. How about Plasti-dip? It goes with black wheels, goes on easy and if you don't like it, you can peel it off. Or maybe a vinyl stripe in the color you're talking about. Again if you don't like it, you can remove it.
Yeah I thought about plasti-dip but I mean thats like one of the most debris prone areas right? Idk I just think that would be a pain with having to touch up. Maybe if I put it super think it would hold up better...hmmm..

And yeah the think about rattle can or even spray gun is the prep work, once you start it theres no going back lol. Im not so concerned about me changing my mind as I am just in general of getting it to adhere good.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 PM
I highly recommend using bedliner. I did mine myself and have got nothing but compliments. I have since painted my rear bumper and I'll try and get a more recent picture tomorrow. Do not use plastidip. I used that at first and it is a real PITA. Rocks and any other road debris will tear it. Once it's torn, you have to peel off that whole section and repaint it unless you want to look like trash. You'll still be able to see the tear lines. I had a small rock chip on the bottom of my door after I painted it with bedliner. I just took a leftover can about a foot away and squeezed a couple times and bam, like new again. I have plastidip on my front chrome bumper currently and am going to sand it off and bedliner it because the road has tore it up. Also, mud and dirt stains plastidip easily, and is difficult to get out. I ended up just repainting, other than washing it. If you sand and prep right, the bedliner will stick like glue. Been going over 6 months no chipping or pealing whatsoever. If you haven't painted anything yet, I'll gladly take more pictures asap, and can give advise on the process.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Here's after I used plastidip. As you can see the road tore it up after the first day.

Quick Reply: Paint or bedliner rockers