Bedrails for Flareside ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedrails for Flareside ?

Hi everybody, I just got my first truck, Mustangs and 1 Grand Marquis til now. I luvvvvv the truck ! Iwas looking to add recessed tie downs on the top of the bed rails. Then I saw some black SS bedrails by Putco that had tie down holes at each end. I like these better. Does anybody have any experience putting either of these items on a Flareside bed ? The bedrail caps that came stock with the truck do not have the rectangular knock out holes that would take a recessed tie down. Does the absence of the knock outs mean that the bed rail does not have the rectangulars holes ? If the rectangular holes are there, does anybody know where I can buy a rail cap that has the knockouts ? I'm assuming that I would need the holes open to install the Putco rails.

Thanks for any input. Am installing a Rhino liner next week and thinking seriously about a Superchip. Dave

Old 07-31-2001, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're outta luck... there are no stake-pockets in the flareside beds. The reason (IMHO) is that because the outer panel on the flareside is fiberglass, it could not hold the load like the stylesides can. The only thing up there structural is the inner wall of the bed, but it's not all that strong (again IMHO). I don't know of anyone who makes rails for the flaresides... if you look at the stylesides, the bed rail area is straight and flat. The rail on the flaresides is tapered front to back, as well as bowed in the middle. Building a rail to match that profile would be real tough.

-Joe-

Old 07-31-2001, 10:46 PM
Joe, thanks for the response. Dave

Old 08-14-2001, 07:47 AM
Talking Flareside Handrails

Daveo, Welcome to the site. There are a number of nice handrails available for the flareside model. I had mine one for a year before I had to go to a camper shell. They were very secure/sturdy, and looked asesome on the bed. Check out the pics in my gallery under "NoLimits" for better pics of the bedrails. Again, welcome!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries.../11-15-113.jpg

www.f150online.com/galleries/cover/gallery11.jpg

Last edited by NoLimits; 08-14-2001 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:46 AM
Thanks NoLimits

Nolimits, that is one fine looking truck !!
Those bed rails are exactly what I'm looking for, I like the black finish. I haven't seen a black Flareside around town yet, now I know. I have found that Putco makes a Flareside rail. Can you tell me who made those and where you found them ? I have to finish remodeling a bedroom/office before I can toy around with the truck again, but that won't take but a couple to three weeks. Then it is header and rail time. Thanks for the welcome, Dave

Old 08-15-2001, 09:14 AM
Mine came from Ford's parts dept. They offer color keyed bedrails for the trucks in the accessories catalouge. They currently are collecting dust in the shed, replaced by an ARE Z-series carpet lined topper. My digital camera went to Europe with the wife, so I can't update my gallery for a while.
Good luck with the projects and the honey-do list!

Quick Reply: Bedrails for Flareside ?