Suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-1999, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspensions

I recently installed a set of after-market 2" rear spring lowering shackles on my 1999 F-150 2wd short bed truck. Now the left rear side sets 1 1/2" lower than the right rear side. The shackles are the same length and the mounting bolts are in the top holes. Local Ford dealer ignored this problem! Any ideas or suggestions on how to correct this situation. Don't want to re-install the original shackles, the truck sets too high in rear with the stock shackles.

------------------

Old 06-06-1999, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the shackles are not parallel to each other.(One might be leaning alot more than the other) I noticed this when I first did mine and then had to loosen them a little, then let the truck back down on the ground and finish tightening them. Hope this helps.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII Who stole my other 2 cylinders?

Old 06-08-1999, 02:14 PM
Wow! how weird is that! I put my shackles on and had no problems at all. I would call the company that you bought them from or who makes the shackles and ask them maybe they have heard of this before. I can't see it being an adjustment problem being 1 1/2" off thats a hudge difference. Is it binding or the bolt catching on the frame maybe and not letting the suspension go all the way down? is the one side 1 1/2" to low or to high?

Old 06-27-1999, 03:32 AM
That isn't to strange. When I put my shakles on this week and first set it down one side was slightly lower than the other. A few good bounces on the bumper and it straightened right out. Now how about the hangers. Whew! that took hours to put on, (up till 2:30am this morning). Good luck to anyone doing that. What a vast improvement on looks though. 4" in rear and 3" up front with coils. AWESOME!

------------------

Old 06-27-1999, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you tighten the shakles with the suspension hanging? If so it is possible your shackles are binding (obviously more on one side). With most suspension parts it is necessary to tighten with the weight on the suspension. When I assemble suspension parts, I leave the bolts on bushings/pivots loose, bounce the car a few times, and then tighten things up.
Andrei

Old 06-27-1999, 10:28 PM
Cableguy, how did you get the factory hangers off? - drill, grind, air chisel. Lowering my truck is next, just can't decide on either a 2"-3" or a 3"-4". Did your 3" front drop just have coils? If so how do the wheels look (angled in at the top - camber?)

Old 06-29-1999, 01:06 AM
I went with AIM industries in Arz. the front was with coils, they state 2" but boy it was frightening when we finished and let down the jack and it turned out to be more like 3". but that is ok, it looks AWESOME!, the tires camber does not appear to have changed, I have put on a little more than 100 miles and it handles just like stock. The rear hangers, what can I say but (excuse my sexist french) BITCH. It took about 4-5 hours on just the hangers alone (front end about an hour). Had to first drill out the rivets, starting small and working up to a larger size. Keep it smaller than the existing holes though. Next we grided forever, then using a large punch hammered the *&^*&^ out of it till the back side of the rivet came out. They recommend removing the bed, but what a chore that seemed to be, (still might have been easier). The tension on the spring is relieved by jacking up from the hitch, (very important or you'll put the spring right through your bed). once you have all the rivets out, if it doesn't come loose, very gently, and slowly release the jack, this will cause the spring tension to force the spring up, whack the hanger with a sledge and the hanger will pop off the spring. But only if you have the rivet heads completely off. Man ford does a wonderful job of keeping there suspensions where they should be. This week I'll be adding a Hotchkis strut in rear. The rear sits 4" lower. No problems on speed bumps or road bumps, still as smooth as ever. Oh Yeah you'll need new shocks as well. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you. I'll have my pictures available for viewing you can reach me at whtstuff@aol.com with your e-mail address and i'll forward you what it looks like.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x2, Bright Torch Red(all color matched-bumpers, mirrors) "Sport" pkg., Tonneau,285/50/17, 3" custom catback, Superchips, Airaid, Lowered 4" rear & 3" front, Herculiner bed lining(self install) AWESOME!

Old 06-29-1999, 09:07 AM
I also put the AIM 2" shackles on my truck. Before I started I measured both sides and sure enough there was an extra inch on one side between the fender and top of the tire. Before I proceded I took it to the dealer, which took 3 more trips to get it right. I can never get good service, but thats another story. I think the leaves were not arched the same. I would recommend making sure the installation geometry is correct, and the taking it back to another dealer to check the suspension.

------------------
'98 f150 STX 4.2l, 3.55, Busted @ss 5- speed, custom dual exhaust, K&N mods, clears, shackles, snuglid...

Old 06-29-1999, 10:55 PM
Slickstx,
Your kidding you took it to the dealer three times! WOW! All I had to do was let it down loosen it up a little, bounce a few times re-tighten and there ya go. Too bad for the troubles, wait till you try the hangers, OH MY GOD! That was work! But man what a cool look, I love it.
Good luck.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x2, Bright Torch Red(all color matched-bumpers, mirrors) "Sport" pkg., Tonneau,285/50/17, 3" custom catback, Superchips, Airaid, Lowered 4" rear & 3" front, Herculiner bed lining(self install) AWESOME!

Old 07-02-1999, 03:59 PM
cableguy,
I've had alot of problems, with my service department (Nichols Ford in Fort Worth). This should have been fixed the first time if they had done it right. Instead I think their bed shimming "fix" must have come from a crack pipe dream. I've been planning on putting the hangers on, but Iwasn't sure if I could get those studs out myself, and what kind of bolts are they replaced with, and do they come with the hangers?

------------------
'98 f150 STX 4.2l, 3.55, Busted @ss 5- speed, custom dual exhaust, K&N mods, clears, shackles, snuglid...

[This message has been edited by slickstx (edited 07-02-1999).]

Old 07-03-1999, 02:28 AM
"BODY SHIMMING"....run....run as fast as you can...get away from the "DEALER"! Are they nuts or what.
The bolts come with the hangers, they are case hardened steel. If you have access to an air grinder that would be very handy. Start first by drilling out the rivets, (remember to start small and increase size two more times, but not bigger than the existing hole, otherwise you will have to much slop when you use the bolts). Then grind like hell, and when its smooth, beat em'. You might have to lower the jack oh so slowy and gently (maybe only an inch), that will raise the spring up slightly taking pressure off the hanger, then again beat em'. It should then break loose.
Good luck. Stay the hell away from the dealership. Go to a customizing shop, check with fellow "lowriders", or check the web for clubs in your local area, they shuold be able to supply you good references for a customizing shop.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x2, Bright Torch Red(all color matched-bumpers, mirrors) "Sport" pkg., Tonneau,285/50/17, 3" custom catback, Superchips, Airaid, Lowered 4" rear & 3" front, Herculiner bed lining(self install) AWESOME! Newest E/T at the drags 6/26/99: 14.9sec at 90.4 mph. For photos e-mail me at: whtstuff@aol.com OR my web page at <A HREF="Http://member.aol.com/whtstuff/myweb.html<P" TARGET=_blank>Http://member.aol.com/whtstuff/myweb.html<P</A> >

Quick Reply: Suspensions