wireing an amp and sub to factory h/u

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wireing an amp and sub to factory h/u

I've seen numerous posts suggesting several speakers and even read a post on how to remove the door panels. But I've seen only a few post on sub units.

the clarion & the center console subs are both powered and both are great units, but I dont have a center console and cannot afford to loose the room in the front for the clarion

so what choices do I have, I've seen a Q- logic custom box that comes w/ two 10" subs and a box from SUBBOX.net that holds one 10" sub (sub not supplied)both boxes are non-powered and both mount in the same place under the rear seat.

Now my question is how difficult is it to install one of these boxes and an amp to the factory hu?

does someone make a adapter similar to the one clarion uses?

or can you use this adapter and either us a clarion amp or cut off the connector and use the wires to feed amp?

Thanks in advance

you guys are doing a great job

Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 PM
You have to get a line converter. That is the only way you can run an amp with the factory HU. There are numerous brands out there...

Old 10-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Line converter

yeah but where do you splice the converter into?

the rear speakers? or from the radio?

also some amps have built in converters , I have a sony amp in my mustang installed that way but its not powering a sub

I was wondering if theres something like the clarion setup which connects into the rear of the radio via an adapter?

heres a link to the adapter

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=020FCS1OE+

Old 10-17-2002, 08:11 AM
I haven't seen any amps that use an adapter like that...

For the line converter, you will tap into your rear speaker wire. If you really want good clean sound I would highly recommend replacing the factory HU...

John

Old 10-17-2002, 09:27 AM
Many amps have line level inputs and RCA inputs, so its your choice on how to wire. I purchased the Metra wiring harnesses to tap into my factory harness with simple plugs - no factory wire cutting - right behind the head unit. Ran the wires down the passenger side door sill to the amp mounted on the rear wall of my Supercab, behind the seat back. Then ran speaker wires to the subs and to the factory speaker locations by using the connectors behind the head unit in the dash.

I could have used line level convertors to convert the speaker outputs and used RCA cables, but I had speaker wire already.

I have a good clean sound and a stealth intallation with my factory unit, so you do NOT need to replace the head unit as suggested above.

If your amp is just for subs, tapping the rear speaker wires as the input to the amp would work. Since the rear speakers are really only fill, you could eliminate them all together from the equation or allow the signal to be split - your choice.

Old 10-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks

will the metra harness allow me to retain the factory h/u?

if I understood correctly the harness allows you to splice into the factory h/u without actually cutting any wires.

the wires off of the metra harness would them feed the amp then from there speakers, and to power the amp from battery

did I get?

thanks again

Old 10-18-2002, 08:59 AM
I actually bought 2 Metra harnesses. One plugs into the back of the head unit, the other plugs into the existing harness (that previously plugged into the head unit). Then you have every wire in between at your disposal.

Old 10-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Y2kXLTSport
I actually bought 2 Metra harnesses. One plugs into the back of the head unit, the other plugs into the existing harness (that previously plugged into the head unit). Then you have every wire in between at your disposal.
Do you have a website for where I can order or view information on the Metra Harnesses?

Old 10-27-2002, 06:44 PM
Sure, I used Parts Express.

Metra on Parts Express

Quick Reply: wireing an amp and sub to factory h/u