Calling Norm

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Norm

Hey NormI recall you being a pretty big advocate for keeping your factory head unit and installing and amp. Can you give all of us out there who are looking to do this a brief tutorial of the does and don'ts of this setup. I am specifically looking for help with the convertor. Which ones are good and do they make a wire harness out from your factory head unit with wire leads to go to your convertor rather than having to splice. Where do you get this harness if it exists? How do you splice? Any help would be appreciated. I already have an MTX 4244 amp on the way so I could be doing this as early as this weekend.

Old 02-21-2002, 03:04 PM
www.davidnavone.com for the converters.
Metra makes harnesses. Best but sells them. You will need to splice wires. No one I know of makes a converter with ford harnesses. Check if the amp you have has speaker level inputs. You can use them instead of a line converter. The line converter is built in the amp in that case.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:09 PM
I have installed my amp with the factory head unit with the help of a LLC and wish I hadn't. I did not use the speaker levels on my amp because I wanted to be able to play with the gain. No matter how I set things, the sound is terrible. The head unit distorts at half volume and at that level there is not enough signal to make the sub happy. I am taking out the LLC and putting in a Kenwood HU like I had in my Camaro.

Quick Reply: Calling Norm