Dual amp setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 05:15 PM
JDm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual amp setups

i was just wondering when i install my second amp will i need to get a dual amp wiring kit or what...... will i need a cap??......

Old 01-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Cool dual amps

What are the two amps? How many watts are they going to be putting out? I would use a cap on the sub amp (if one is a sub amp) but you most likely will not need one for the amp driving your speakers.
The biggest issue with dual amps is where to mount them . There is usually not enough room under the front seats and the rear seat is usually where the subs are. There is no room behind the rear seat back as there are two horizontal support beams in most late model 150's. Without subs (or if you can settle for little 8" subs) you can fit it all under the back seat. If you don't have the subs yet be sure to buy ones with DVC (dual voice coils) as they will run a lot cooler in that tight enclosed space at 2 Ohms.
The wiring kit question is dependent on your amps. You may just need some interconnects if you have a high end HU or you might have to go in at the speaker level. Either way I would recommend Rockford Fosgate or Street Wires for a noticable (sp?) sound improvement. 8 gauge for most amps but that can change too depending on the amp.

Old 01-19-2002, 11:37 AM
JDm
with both amps im pushing around 1300watts...... oh and my truck is a reg cab f150....... so it will have to fit under the front seat somewhere.... oh and my subs are 2 10inch mtx 6000s. and my HU is a pioneer premier dehp930

Old 01-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Talking

I would use a 1 Farad cap for any amp over 500W and a .5 Farad cap for any amp over 300W. You technically do not need them but if you like it loud like I do you will. Keep in mind that only 2 companies make caps and then sell them OEM to all of the companies that market them. The Rockford Fosgate ones come from the same manufacturer that makes the Lightning Audio ones which are lower in price. If you are not mounting them in view then who cares.
Make sure the amps will fit under your seat. Take into consideration the seat bar under the seats. Will it scrape the top of your amps? I wanted mine to go under the seat but no go. I have them in a custom stack on the rear floor but I am in the beginning stages of making a custom fiberglass enclosure for them. See the attached file for what I am going to do. I am no artist but it explains what I plan on doing.
For the two tens you will have to get creative. Take a look at subbox.net and see what your options are. I had to put a 2" lift kit on my rear seat just to get my 2 10"s in my supercab. Not the easiest of tasks. They will sound a lot better than 2 8"s.
Rock On,
Mozzer Rocks

Quick Reply: Dual amp setups