Where to run the Wires!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to run the Wires!

Alright, I am currently adding a new HU and an amp but i have no idea where to run the wires for the amp from the HU and from the battery! if anyone out there can tell me how you did it in your 1998 150 extended cab i would be greatful! i would like to get an idea of where to go with the wires before i get started! don't want to jack anything up!

bigNAnative

Old 10-30-2001, 02:01 PM
Well, I didn't add a new head unit but I did install an amp under my back seat. I ran the power wires under the door sills and up through the firewall. I found a grommet already in the firewall that didn't have any wires going through it, and I ran my power wire through that. The grommet was right next to the throttle cable hole in the firewall. I've read in other posts here that you want to keep your speaker wires and power wires seperated so you'll probably want to run your speaker wires on the passenger side of the cab. Hope this helps a little.

Bob

Old 10-30-2001, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I have no idea where I could have run any type of wire! i wanted to set up a few posts to get some info before i got startred! i will look for that gormmet tonight and figure out a way to get it through! i guess another question would be how big of a guege wire did you use and what about a fuse! what size fuse did you use after you hooked your amp power wire to your battery! any help is usefull! thanks

bigNAnative

Old 10-30-2001, 03:28 PM
I'm running 8 gauge wire for the main power from the battery and if I'm not mistaken, I have a 30 amp fuse in line. I bought an amp install kit from Monster Cable and it had everything I needed.

Old 10-30-2001, 03:38 PM
What kinda amp and subs are you using? What kinda box are you using! I am thinking of building my own, but have no clue what kind or where to put it! i have seen the subbox.net boxes and think those are bad ****! but i don't have the cash! would like to try and build one myself! don't know though! have to see!

bigNAnative

Old 10-30-2001, 06:23 PM
Thumbs up

I've got a MTX Thunderform and a MTX 4250D amp. I've got an extended cab and the Thunderform fits nicely under the back passenger seat. I mounted the amp under the driver side back seat. It was a piece of cake to install and it sounds really good.

Bob

Old 10-30-2001, 06:33 PM
the gauge of power wire you use depends on the power output of your amp. between 10 and 4 gauge is the range. also as suggested keep power cables away from signal cables. when my equipment gets here I plan on running the power cable down the passenger side and signal cable on the driver's side. this well prevent any noise from getting into the signal wires. if you have to cross them for whatever reason try to have them cross perpendicular to each other like a +

this is all the information I've learned in school/collected none of which comes from actual experience so maybe it would be better to listen to the other guys.

Old 10-30-2001, 06:44 PM
Install of amp on 97 F150 Reg cab...

I installed an amp under the passanger seat of my truck. Ran 8 ga. from the battery through a grommet just under the carpet beneath the gas pedal ( I believe there is one up just above it as well). Then ran the wire under the dash and down the passanger side. Ran the RCA cables down the passanger side. I did this because you want to keep the power wires and audio wires seperate if possible. This will help eliminate an noise problems. I ran the RCA's down the drivers side to keep them away from the computer, a big noise generator! The size of the fuse depends on how much current your amp draws. I have a Kicker 652 amp and used a 30 A fuse. In most cases an #8 wire is suffecient. My amp is under the seat, wires are hidden under the carpet and door sills and the install is neat and clean. Notify me if I can help you out with any thing else. -Matt

Old 10-31-2001, 01:54 PM
Do you Guys have any Pics!

Mhussey,

DO you have your amp on the floor or do you have it bolted to the seat some way so that when you move your seat the amp moves with it! I get alot of traffic in my truck and i am worried about it getting kicked and such! how does that work out for you! i am looking at placing my amp under the passenger side seat also!

bigNAnative

Old 10-31-2001, 09:23 PM
BigNAnative...

I have a 97 Regular and the amp is under my passanger seat. I was able to palce it right against where the jack mounts (was able to leave the jack in place) and adjust the controls from standing beside the truck with the door open. The wires are hidden under the carpet and exit through the hole near the jack. I have not mounted the amp yet, but I will probably screw it down to the floor. I originally had it on the back shelf by the cd changer, but desided to move it. More space, less obvious, and more protected! -matt

Old 11-10-2001, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my own install on all of my equipment, and aside from being time consuming, it's fairly easy. For the 8 gauge power wire, I drilled(yikes!) a hole just between the computer and the inner fender wall. I made sure to use a grommet to protect it from arcing. One came with the install kit actually.
I put a eye ring connector on one end, and attached it to the positive batt. connection. I then put the inline fuse holder(also supplied) on the firewall just behind the battery, and ran the cable through the hole. After that, it was as simple as running the wire down inside the kick panel, under the door sills, and along the back wall of the cab to the amp. The amp is under the back drivers seat for now, but will have to be moved when I get a dual ten box. (left plenty of slack to move it) For the RCA's going to the amp, spring for one with a remote amp turn on wire built in(you'll be glad you did) I just plugged mine into the RCA's on the HU, then threaded the amp end down through the dash towards the drivers side, under the carpet to the door sill, and under the door sill to the amp which is on that side. Oh, while the radio is out of the dash, don't forget to connect the remote on wire to it(usually the blue wire on the HU.) For the ground I used a large eye ring connector, and bolted it down with one of the rear seat mounting bolts. I bought my amp install kit at Radio Shack, and used a mid level Monster RCA from a stereo shop. The kit was $50, and even with the monster cable, it was much less than what Circuit City wanted for an install kit.
I won't go into amp to speaker wires, because getting them through the door baffles was more than a challenge Good luck with your install, hope it goes well!,,,,98

Sorry for the book, lol. I didn't realize til I was done.

Quick Reply: Where to run the Wires!