Help with installing amp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with installing amp!

I have 97 F150 with the factory HU and 6 disc changer. I am adding a line level converter to the left and right channel of the HU to add an amp with RCA cables. The problem is when I went to splice into the speaker wires, the colors I had from a 1998 diagram did not match up with mine. I checked the front right speaker wire and they were white/green and orange/yellow (i think?) and I did not see any of these colors in the plug!! I did not want to cut the wrong wires, any help? Are the right locations the 4th and 5th in for the top and the bottom row of wires?

Old 10-16-2001, 09:04 PM
Somebody with a 97...HELP ME OUT!

I have completed my install (amp and sub) in my 97 with the factory head unit with 6 disc changer via a line converter. The only thing I have not done is splice the converter into the speaker wires in back of the HU. What colors are the four wires I need?? Do you know the location in the plug?? (Left +/- and Right +/-). Help would be greatly appreciated so I can start using my system!

Old 10-17-2001, 09:08 AM
Old 10-17-2001, 04:08 PM
Where did you mount the line converters behind the dash?

Old 10-17-2001, 05:03 PM
Thanks...but still don't know!

I checked out that link and it showed two plugs. I have one square plug with, I believe 8 holes on top row and 8 holes on bottom row. I have heard it is the 4th and 5h in on top and bottom row...any one know for sure??

Old 10-23-2001, 11:27 AM
I found this thread from a little while back, it's the one below this one . Hope this helps mhussey.
-Glenn

Old 10-23-2001, 03:33 PM
I just got done installing an amp in my truck and I also had questions about the speaker wire colors. I called the local Ford dealer and they let me look at the factory wiring diagram and even make a copy of it. You might want to check out your local dealer and see if they'll help you out.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:11 PM
HELP!!!...solved one problem but ran into another

I need help/info. I took out my head unit to find out why the speaker wires do not match up with the 16pin plug and I found out why. The speaker wires all com in together in on 8 pin plug that is connected to another wire harness that runs down back of the A/C control to a metal chasis w/ cooling fins that looks like an amp. Is it a factory amp?? Another set of wires runs from the mystery box (amp??) to the plug that plugs into the HU, that is why the colors don't match up. I looked at my Factory sticker and the truck came with the basic am/fm radio and the original owner opted for the $400 CD changer. I still don't think that that would make my radio the premium radio will it?? If it is an amp, will I have a problem connecting the LLC to the speaker wires (coming form the amp, going to the speakers)?? Or will I run into problems the amplified signal being introduced into the line level converter, befor it reaches the low level input (RCA) at the amp?? All help has been considered and appreciated, just as little more will be greatly appreciated. If I don't find a solution, i guess I'll have to call the ford garage and/or local radio shop. Even though the radio shop said that an amp can not be added to a Ford Premium System (with factory amp) using a LLC.

Old 10-25-2001, 05:00 PM
Anyone with amp install knowledge???

If so, can you please read my previous post and help me out if you can?? Thanks, matt

Old 10-30-2001, 10:12 PM
You can not use LLC to the aftermarket amp unless you bypass the factory amp! Too much voltage from what I understand. I have not tried it myself but when I asked I was told it could kill the LLC since it is not designed to handle that much power AND you will also introduce more distortion into the system. I am sorry but I can not help you on the wire colors (too long ago). Why not just run new wires straight from the head unit to the amp?

David

Old 10-31-2001, 09:37 PM
To brokeagain...

I thought I would run into trouble when trying to pass an amplified signal into a LLC looking for a much smaller level signal. When you say run new wires from the amp to the head unit, what are you talking about??? I have run RCA's cause I don't want to use the High Level input on the amp. I would love to bypass the factory amp by putting the LLC on the speaker outputs directly from the HU (before the signal reaches the amp). But, what color wires are used for the speakers?? They need 8, but there are sixteen wires!! I am also trying to use the stock HU. If not possible, I am just going to buy a Kenwood HU with a harness and install it.

Quick Reply: Help with installing amp!