Multi amp question (how to?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Multi amp question (how to?)

Okay, most now know I have a 600 watt four channel amp running the two front speakers, and one ten inch sub. I am thinking of adding another amp for the sub(or sub"s" possibly). I want to use the other two channels from the existing amp to run the rears, and have another amp run the subs. Sorry if I'm being redundant Anyway, how do I do this? My HU only has two RCA preouts that are already Y'd out into four(for the 4 channels) Do I put another Y adapter before the amp connection, to send the signal to another amp? It will probably be only a two channel amp(bridgeable to one channel?) Would this work, or would it max out the output of the already Y'd connection(lowering sound quality)??? The amp I would buy would have a built in low pass filter(I hope) so I would not have to buy one. The amp I have now has the option to be run in "tri mode", in other words, doubled up connections. In my thinking, this would lower the power going to each speaker. Plus I would have to buy some filters for each one that was doubled. Should I just buy a new HU with more preouts? Help me!!!,,,lol,,,,98

Old 10-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98SCREAMER;
Does the Jensen have preamp-out RCA jacks? These allow you to 'daisy-chain' amps without a voltage loss. If so, you can just run from the 'preamp out' on the Jensen to the 'input' on the new amp.
Another choice is to get a equalizer or other signal processor that has multiple channels. I have a Kenwood eq that has 4 ch out plus subwoofer.
If neither of these is an option, you can 'Y' the connection again, but you're lowering your signal voltage each time you do. If you have a good HU, you might could get away with it, but you'll have to match your amps input carefully.
And then of course, as you said, you could get a new HU...this sounds like a good time to get one of the new ones that play MP3s.

Old 10-07-2001, 12:00 AM
Thumbs up

Duhhhh!!! lol I just looked over at the manual(sitting beside me) and noticed that the amp has four pass through RCA connections. Looks like the problem is solved. Thanks for your help. It just took your prodding to get me to look closer,,,,,,98

I just had an idea for complete overkill Buy another amp the same as the Jensen, and run it as a two channel dedicated sub amp. Talk about loud!!

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 10-07-2001 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overkill? Huh? Whats that?

Old 10-08-2001, 03:01 PM
Cool

Hmmm....2 6x9's in the doors at 300 watts a piece, and two ten inch subs in the back thumping away at the same wattage. Sounds like a plan to me I think I'll need to raise the rear bench,,,,98

Quick Reply: Multi amp question (how to?)