Amp help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amp help

I just got 2 12" JL Audio W0 (I was told) from a friend. There are in a custom carpeted box. I am going to put the box in the bed of my supercrew. I have a kenwood deck and kenwood speakers. The deck has a subwoofer function to control it. Do all I need is an amp and wiring of course? Do I need a 2 channel? Im on Crutchfield and they have a bunch ranging from $70+ for my truck. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by migdaddy; 04-15-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
This is what I was told my a friend that does audio installs. So Im going to just buy a custom box that fits under my rear seat and put the 2 subs in there. But I still need an amp. Recommendations? 2 12" JL Audio W0

Personally i wouldn't recommend installing subs in the bed of your truck. Reasons being that you will not get the bass you are looking for being in the bed of your truck compared to being in the cab of the truck. I only recommend putting a sub enclosure in the bed of the truck when you put in a ported box that ports directly in the cab. You would need to cut a hole for the port through the bed and cab of your truck. Because if you have a sealed enclosure in the bed you will lose a lot of bass because it has no way to enter the cab. I just wanted to let you know in advance. I can still install it for you but i don't want you to be disappointed with the bass.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the W0 are single voice coil subs so two would put you at either 2 or 8 ohm.

More than likely 2 ohm is what you will be running them at. I would say something that is aound 500 watts mono at 2 ohm is more than enough.

It is better to have to much than not enough. You can alway tune the amp gains down to get the volume you want without ever getting to the clipping point.

To stay with the JL theme there is always this one
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8671-j2-...amplifier.aspx

There are definitely more choices all depending on how much you want to spend.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
$100 preferably but I dont want crap... A 1 channel will work to power the 2 subs and all 4 speakers?

Last edited by migdaddy; 04-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
You don't wanna run your subs and speakers off of the same amp, you'll lose a lot of control of them and sound quality on either your subs or speakers with both suffer.

You can run two subs off of a one channel amp, you either will have to wire them in series or parallel depending on the ohm load.

Finally, don't put your subs in your bed, you'll lose all sound generated from them.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
So a 1 channel amp will work for the 2 subs. Ill need another amp to power the speakers? Or is that not necessary? And yea, I was told the same thing about putting them in the bed. Im gonna go either behind or under the rear seats with a custom box.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Get one mono subwooofer amp for the subs and then another 4 channel for the door speakers. With two 12's if you don't get an amp for the door speakers the subs will be way overpowering and all you will hear is bass.

500 watts for the two subs should be plenty like stated above. I don't know what door speakers you have but a 4 channel that puts out around 50 watts rms should do assuming they can handle that much.

There are lots of good amps but I have always used Kenwood. There may be better out there but I have never had one fail me.

No way to get two amps of any quality for $100. It might be possible to do it for $300 or so if you shop around.

Check out these two...one is in crutchfields outlet but I have bought from their outlet before and never had an issue. I have both of these amps along with one other in my current truck and they are great for the money.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613K...cc=01&tp=35834

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC6...rand%7cKenwood

Also like mentioned earlier if in doubt get a little more power, you can always turn the gain down!

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
You can get a very nice lanzar amp like the one I had to run the fronts for around 100 and a another one to run the subs for around the same but the problem you run into is the size of amps because you don't have a whole lot of room to deal with under those back seats. You might want to look into draw it back to one ten and sell the other one and invest in a five channel digital amp. Kenwood has one as does alpine and the both run about 350. But the nice thing about the digital amps is that they are smaller run cooler and are easier to stuff in the nooks and crannies of the back seat area!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry I miss quoted on the ten I ment the twelve.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks Scott and phocker for the help! Audio is a whole new thing for me. I can tell you anything about exhaust if you need help on that

Quick Reply: Amp help