Factory External Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory External Amp?

This question has nothing to do with the factory Sub/Amp.

With that out of the way I'm looking for an external Amp that is said to power the door spearkers.

I have a 2007 Factory NAV unit in my 2006 F150. While in the "Bezel Diagnostic" under "Configuration Status" it says both the Subwoofer and External Amp are enabled.

In my research I have confirmed that the External Amp is a stand alone amp that directs power to the door speakers and NOT the AMP of the Subwoofer.

The reason this is important is that when I received my NAV from getting programmed to work with my truck I noticed a serious compromise in volume! From what I've found that compromise is due to the External Amp being enabled. In oder to restore the volume I need to either have it disabled, or find the this External AMP.

Anyone got any ideas on where I could get this External AMP? My research says it will be a plug and play AMP that connects into the factory harness under the dash.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Nem

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but my factory amp for the Sony system in located under the center console. I have a 2009 model. I wouldn't think they would be under the dash.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There isn't one. The only external amp is the one for the subwoofer. The head unit supplies power to the door speakers. That setting may be there for that reason, but they don't have amps for the door speakers in F-150s.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
So I did some more research and made some phone calls! A place called United Radio offers a plug and play amp designed to work with the "exteral amp" feature that provides additional power to the door speakes.

The amp that powers the sub is considered to be a part of the sub and works under the "Subwoofer" setting and not the "Exteral Amp" setting!

My two options to restored my lost volume is to either disable the exteral amp, or add an external amp! I'm having the guys at United Radio do a bench test to see if the gain with the external amp is worth the money.

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Nem

Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just disable the external amp then? are your speakers factory or nice aftermarket that could benefit from an amp?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Woods,

Disabling the "external amp" is an option, but as of right now cost justification is key! I haven't been able to find any place local that can actually do the job and every place that will is on the east coast..... the cost of shipping the NAV and the reprogramming is just a few dollars less than buyng the amp! If I can just buy the amp and gain from it I'd much rather go that route....

Besides.... should the AMP actually improve the sound system I'd more than likely upgrade the speakers at that point.

Hope that made sense : )

Cheers

Nem

Quick Reply: Factory External Amp?