Best kind of amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best kind of amp?

I have 2 12' pioneer premiere woofers. according to the book they are 3000w a piece. Currently I have a Rockford fosgate 550x2 amp. I find it hard to believe that some people I know who have a smaller amp 450w seems like their bass hits harder. I don't think you can bridge this amp unless you do it from the woofer. But im trying to get full capacity from my woofers. Suggestions?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
If you hook 3k to those you will smoke em and id like to be there to watch. Never pay much attention to MAX power. Pay closer attention to RMS or NOM power. Thats what the speaker wants to stay happy for max life. I like to go slightly over RMS to have a little extra power on tap.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Your speakers (all speakers) are "zero" watts"..... They can handle xxx watts.

But those ratings are typically just very loose reference numbers.

It's often surprising how much great sound you can get from subs, given 1/4 of of the wattage they can actually handle..... But, as PorkCerial said, I prefer to have even a little more power available, than the subs can supposedly handle.

As long as you don't constantly drive them to distortion, they will almost certainly be fine.

But hey now, if you don't already know this, what matters WAAAAY more than your subs wattage capacity, or your your amps wattage output, is the enclosure that your subs are in.

I always tell guys, if you don't have the whole speaker enclosure tuning thing down, OR don't have a friend who has it down..... Then you'd be best off to contact the speaker manufacturer and ask them what the optimum enclosure would be for your subs, and your musical listening preferences.....
Then follow those numbers to the "T".

What you DONT want, is to be one of those guys (and their are lots of them) with some big **** subs, and a big **** amp, and nothing but a bunch of ugly, cancellation and rattles ! Yuk !

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by bastid
Best kind of amp?
One that works?

Brad

Last edited by Brad Johnson; 07-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Just going along with what fish said. More power is always better than not enough. And, as fish pointed out, your enclosure is just as important as the amp. A crappy enclosure can make the best subs in the world sound like garbage.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
maybe pick up one of these amp to run your speakers? 15k watts..you might have to buy a few more of those 3000 wat Pioneers though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvOAu16Cr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3VR...eature=related

you can maybe run it straight off a MR. fusion

Last edited by Timelessr1; 08-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I've never had any problems with RF products, have 2 infinity amps now and they have held up well. Never liked JL Audio stuff, overpriced and I didn't like their performance.

Quick Reply: Best kind of amp?