Is my amp blown?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my amp blown?

i have a kicker zx750.1 and I just redid all my audio in the new f150, the zx750 came out of my old truck and was working fine when i took it out, finally got everything ready to reinstall it but it was very late last night, actually early this morning and dark, I was dumb/tired enough to wire the power into the ground and the ground into the power and not notice...needless to say sparks flew and I blew the fuse in the distribution block and the two 40amps on the amp itself..I didnt even notice until today when I woke up this morning and took another look to find my stupid mistake, I have now replaced all the fuses but I'm getting nothing from the amp, no lights at all, not even the protected light will come on...I'm embarrassing myself with this story hoping that someone here knows if I should just get a new amp or if there is a way to fix my problem, thanks

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm no expert but if you now have it wired correctly and you have power at the amp bat terminal I would say you probably blew it.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Re check the fuses. Check the remote wire as well... Otherwise its TOAST...

Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM

I did the same thing with one of my amps yesterday, wired the power and ground backwards. Oops. Blew all the fuses in the amp and the amp's individual fuse in the distro block. I pulled the battery wire and put in new fuses, then wired it up properly and it works fine now. Maybe you didn't get as lucky as me.

Maybe take it to an audio shop, have them open it up and check out the internals. Its usually pretty obvious if it toasted.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Also, dont just look at your fuses, meter them. Ive stressed for hours over why an amp wasnt turning on in a car, and the fuse that looked good tested blown.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
yeah I've check everything over and over now and tried several different fuses, looks like I just threw that one out the window...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Man that sucks, I did that a few years back.

I might be crazy, but is that an Eagles Landing house behind your truck in your sig pic?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Did you check the fuse under the hood near the battery? It may have poped before the ones on the block. If not, sounds like you blew the power supply on that amp. Dunno if its worth the $$ to get it fixed.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re- check your gound.. it mite of burnent it and is not getting a good ground now.. hate to say i have done that before.. my ground went bad then and i would get the lights to come on, but the gorund was so bad it would only show 3 volts on my DMM meter.. then i moved the ground and it all worked agin and i had 14.3 volts.. you really need to get a meter and start checking to see if you are getting power to the remote wire and the main power..and gorunds

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas and I feel like I've tried it all, I must have just fried it...

Chris, yeah it is...I actually responded to something you had posted in a different thread about you living near me, it was kinda late though and you probably did see it, but yeah it looks like your in the duplexes? is so we should get together sometime, I swear I saw something about you doing the big three? I wouldnt mind seeing how you did it

Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Thats right, I remember some thread in the '09 section? Forgot all about it.

And yeah, haven't done the big three yet. I am co-op'ing this semester in Bham, but I still keep the place in the duplexes and come just about every weekend (all but 2 weekends this year haha), but we got an Eagles Landing house on the old side for next year.

When I get around to it I'll be sure to get up with ya and if you wanna take a look it won't be a problem.

Looks like your on the new side? I know a Cam that lives in one of those close to you...had some good times over that way, Halloween was a blast last year over there.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I gotcha and yeah, if we're talking about the same cam she lives right next to me ha... i was actually in Illinois hunting halloween week so I missed it but heard it was a good one

Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
btw chris, how you like that kenwood amp? looks like I'm in the market for one...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Love it. Only time I thought I had a problem with it it turned out to be a wiring problem under the hood. It doesn't skip a beat, and I've had it for almost a year now I believe.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Sounds like your amp is pretty much toast. One of my buddies did that once with his Alpine M350 and when I took a plate off to expose the mother board, there was a large burn spot aroun a capacitor. We couldn't fix it, at least not at the moment. Hey, would you be willing to sell the amp? I know it doesn't work but I love tinkering with things like that, seeing if I can learn anything from them or even *maybe* get them to work again.

Quick Reply: Is my amp blown?