How to connect amp to factory head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to connect amp to factory head unit?

First of all, I have a 2000 f-150 x-cab with the CD changer. I also have the adapter with the RCA jacks that I need to wire to the head unit. The instructions for the adapter say to tap into the left and right speader wires. Which wires do I tap into? Can I still have all four factory speakers playing and the sub woofer or do I use the existing speaker wire for the adapter? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 06-01-2001, 04:54 PM
See HARNESSES CHANGE 2001 for the answer. I am in the process of doing the same thing.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew King Ranch Edition
Charcoal Blue/Arizona Beige
5.4L V8
3.55 LS
Power Moonroof
Class III Towing Group
King Ranch Package
-Lighted Cab Steps
-Sliding Rear Window
-Premium Sound w/ 6-disc changer
-Fog Lamps
-King Ranch Wheels 17x7.5
-King Ranch Leather Quad Captain's Chairs w/ front heated seats
2001 Lightning Taillights
Clear Corner Lenses
Leer 100R Cap
Visteon Mach MP3 w/ factory 6-disc changer
Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0 1000W amp
(4) Cerwin Vega "Vega" 124's
K&N Air Filter

Old 06-02-2001, 11:15 PM
Thumbs up

OK heres what I encountered. ( 2001 150 Scab 5.4 Stock premium HU w/ 6 Disc Changer )
1) There are 2 connectors the left one is a 16 pin rectangular connector that is all you will need for amp installation. The 2nd square connector is for the CD changer.
2) I ran a 6 guage wire from the battery ( with a 30 amp inline fuse 12" from the battery ) down the right side to the rear to the amp. I also ran a 10 guage "switch" wire fron the accessory hot
down the right side as well.
Then I ran 8 pairs of12 guage speaker wire down the left side. I crossed the wires at a 90 degree angle where they meet the amp. I hooked up the level converters at the rear next to the amp. I also used a 1' 6 guage ground wire and grounded it at the bolt for the rear seat.
3) The system seems to be a common ground system which makes using the speaker level inputs on most amps a BIG PITA! My advice is to get Line level converters ( with at least a 1200mv gain adjustment). I used PIE converters. Then just use good quality RCA patch cords to the amps Low Level Inputs.
4) Now This is not the BEST set up. But I have to say w/ a little tweeking it sounds pretty damn good for keeping the stock HU. I mix audio for a living and am around TOP OF THE LINE sound equipment every day and I would consider myself to have a good ear. I am happy with the sound quality for the buck! The trick is to adjust everything. I used a Profile Clarus CL440 ( 50 x 4 w/ a line out for my future sub whick I am building myself to fit the space ). I put 5 x 7 Infinity Kappas in the front and 5 x 7 Infinity Reference in the rear. No earth shattering low end but ample and CLEAN. I have no buzz, pop, or noticable distortion ( unless I give it to much gain which is the same w/ any system ).
I started with the HU at about 65-75% to make sure that there was min . distortion there. Then I opened the converters 50% and slowly raised the amp inputs untill slight distortion and then backed them off about 1/8 turn and opened up the converters a little more. It is plenty loud and very clean given the components used. All said about $450. Which is just about the cost of a decent HU. So heres the info I wrote down from the install. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to be thorough. I hope this helps someone, somewhere, somtime!

Left Front / + Blue w/ White Stripe
- Orange w/ Green Stripe
Left Rear / + Tan w/ Yellow Stripe
- Gray w/ Blue Stripe
Right Front / + Green w/ Orange Stripe
- White w/ Green Stripe
Right Rear / + Brown w/ Pink Stripe
- Orange w/ Red Stripe

Pin 1 looks like an upside down L and is the FULL time HOT ( Green w/ Purple Stripe )
Pin 2 is an Accessory HOT ( Black w/ Pink Stripe )
Pin 3 is not used
Pin 4 is Left Rear - Pin 5 is Left Rear +
Pin 6 is Left Front - Pin 7 is Left Front +
Pin 8 also looks like an upside down L and is GROUND
Pin 9 is the Illumination ( Blue w/ Red Stripe )
Pins 10 / 11 / 12 are not used
Pin 13 is Right Rear - Pin 14 is Right Rear +
Pin 15 is Right Front - Pin 16 is Right Front +

-----------------------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

------------------
2001 5.4 S Cab Lariat
ORP / 3.55 L/S
Class 3 Tow Package

Gibson SweptSide
K&N Gen 2 FIPK
Superchip FLIP CHIP
LoJack
Stock HU w/ Profile CL440 Amp
Infinity Kappas Front/Infinity Reference Rears. Sub is under construction!

Old 10-23-2001, 11:13 AM
Thank you !

Old 10-23-2001, 04:01 PM

Quick Reply: How to connect amp to factory head unit?