HELP!!! w/amp sub install........

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face HELP!!! w/amp sub install........

Here is my problem.

I am running a MTX 400X5 amp (50x4 & 200x1) from my factory HU is four RCA's via line converters into the front/rear inputs of the amp. The amp automatically converts the rear channels into the sub mono input internally(if desired). My problem is when the balance is all the way to the right or left the bass frequencies are awesome. But, when the balance is in the middle the bass drops out considerably. I have double and triple checked the polarity in all of my connections and no luck.(tried two different sets of line converters, followed the www.installdr.com connection guide for help) Lastly, I ran individual RCA's into the sub input with the same result. What the heck is going on? Any suggestions on how to remedy?

Note, I have run "pink noise" and a 1khz tone thru the front/rear and sub with no help deciphering this. Front/Rear seem to be in phase to me, with the 1khz test tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

------------------
  • Bright Red w/Harvest Gold 4x2 Lariat
  • Limited Slip Diff
  • Towing Package
  • Sliding Read Window
  • 6 CD-Changer
  • Captains chairs
  • Factory Bed Extender
  • 5.4L V-8
  • 2-Rockford Fosgate HE2 DVC 8" subs under rear drivers side seat
  • MTX Blue Thunder Pro 400X5 800Watt amp
  • 2-Blaupunkt VC-65 6.5" Components
  • Westin Chrome Nerf Bars
Future Mods
Roll top cover
New Headunit(undecided)
Superchip

Old 01-17-2001, 08:54 AM
When your radio is putting power to one speaker, all the power goes to one speaker, when you spread the power amongst all the speakers you are spreading it thinner (to say) than if you focused it all in one place (make sense) Just a thought. The only other thing I could think of would be if there is an incampatability between the Ford radio and the in line convertors. Just a thought

Old 01-18-2001, 05:06 PM
When you balance to one side or the other it does not send all the power to that one side. Are you running a sub/s? Or are you just running the door speakers? Try only hooking up the front speakers and then the rear speakers. If it does this same thing on only one set then you know which ones are the culprit. Also double check your hook ups at the line level adapter. If one is off then it will effect how the RCA send the music to the amp. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. rjfrench41@aol.com. If it still does it when you hook one set into the sub input, try useing your other set of RCAs. If it also does it with that set then that will help help you narrow it down. If it does stiil do it then your subs are wired out of polarity. If it doesn't do the same thing then you know it's in the line adapter wiring.

------------------
Red '97 F-150 SC 4x4 off-road, 16" rims instead of factory 17"'s(borrowed from old '97 reg cab), BFG 265/75 16 all terrain T/A, K&N, Velocity Tube, Superchip Flowmaster 40 with duals out back, Expedition center console, 3" rear seat lift, after market stereo seen at HTTP://members.sounddomain.com/red97

Quick Reply: HELP!!! w/amp sub install........